Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#13141 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Schooldays, the happiest days of our lives...
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13142 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:38 am Schooldays, the happiest days of our lives...
or not. :cry:

Our senior PT teacher was a real bully. If you weren't in the rugby or football squad he didn't want to know.

One day he picked out myself, and another boy, and in front of everyone bellowed " you two are physical wrecks - get out of my sight - NOW."

And being a bit puny, and wearing specs, I got more than my fair share of bullying/abuse.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#13143 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

I think that was Andrews point...
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13144 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:44 pm I think that was Andrews point...
I just reinforced it. :)

Edmund Burke

Ali Tait
Eternally single

#13145 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

At primary school we were visited by Jimmy Saville. He drove a Range Rover with the back seats down. There was a mattress in the back..
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13146 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Seems Ebay have a problem today with new listings.

One chap has got his classic car listed 10 times. :shock:

Edmund Burke

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13147 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Ali Tait wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:12 pm At primary school we were visited by Jimmy Saville. He drove a Range Rover with the back seats down. There was a mattress in the back..
I'm sure there'e an innocent explanation for that Ali, after all, he was a lovely fella. All that charity work etc ....
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#13148 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Paul Barker »

He was so good to his Mum, he bought her a flat in Scarborough with only one neighbour, a girl’s bording school. A heart of Gold.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#13149 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

So kind of him.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13150 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

I'm an idiot.

My lovely Pure Evoke F3 radio that sits on the desk in my office and happily streams radio and Spotify etc. suddenly stopped working on internet radio - just always got stuck on "Connecting..." - the station list didn't load and it just looked like the internet radio side had failed.

I hindsight, it's obvious what was going on, but in my frustration this morning at this, I reset the office WiFi (highly unlikely to be the issue - it's all Ubiquity UniFi kit and has been up for months) and fiddled with the radio settings for ages...

Eventually I got impatient and logged a technical support message on the Pure site. While I was there, I re-activated my Pure account which I set up when I bought the radio in 2016 (whilst in Dubai, so I could listen to UK radio rather than the whiney/droney stuff they have out there) - for a small radio, it actually sounds pretty good.

That re-activated my Pure news feed, the topmost one of which said: Internet Radio Service - Essential Maintenance Announcement

DOH!

Just. Think. Before. Acting.

EDIT: Amazon's suggestions box is getting weird... never thought about painting the radio...
2021-07-16 09_51_57-Pure Evoke F3 Internet DAB_DAB+ Digital and FM Radio, Internet Radio_Digital Rad.png
2021-07-16 09_51_57-Pure Evoke F3 Internet DAB_DAB+ Digital and FM Radio, Internet Radio_Digital Rad.png (57.03 KiB) Viewed 2760 times
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#13151 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Sounds like a reason not to buy one though if it depends on that external service?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13152 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:48 am Sounds like a reason not to buy one though if it depends on that external service?
That's a bit harsh - it's been totally reliable for years and they are just upgrading their server farm and database systems. It's the first time it's been down in ages. It's also "free" (yes, I know the cost is hidden in the initial purchase, but that was 5 years ago) and for a free system with no ongoing costs, it's good that Pure are investing in the infrastructure.

I quite like the Pure stuff - at its price-point, it's better than the opposition IMHO.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#13153 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

I am sure they are great untill someone not great buys them.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13154 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:38 am Schooldays, the happiest days of our lives...
Rollox.

:D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13155 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Nick wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:28 pm
Back to normal is what we all want
Well, I for one have no intention of going back to the commute and office work version of "normal".
I remember when I first started working from home. (Years ago, nothing to do with Covid.) Everyday I was going to get up, wash/shower whatever, go for a quick walk, or maybe even drive to a park or somesuch and walk there, then back home, breakfast, then turn the computer on 9:00 am on the dot. No. 'Course not. Reality was, mug of tea and a couple of fags while waiting for the eyelids to crank open, and as for going out, no chance, especially in winter, much too cold and dark and wet and nasty out there. The computer got turned on and I did a lot of staring at it, trying to think what the hell am I supposed to be doing.

:D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."