Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#13456 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

simon wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:39 am Can anyone recommend a decent USB wifi dongle? The wifi in the laptop has died and it's a bit of a pain using an ethernet cable. The laptop is 12 years old and needs fixing with a new one really, but it still works and is fine for what we need.
had exactly the same situation with the mem sahib's laptop a few years back. I put a dongle in for a while cos I was reluctant to open up again after fitting an ssd and breaking one of the tags off the keyboard ribbon when finishing.

After putting up with numerous problems(dropping the link, failing to establish a link at boot, intermittent speed etc) I bit the bullet and fitted a new card. Fortunately it was a popular I5 machine so I didn't have much trouble finding a card on ebay.

I would recommend replace the card from my experience, but only if your confident with opening it up. Laptops are a mixed bunch and at best a bit trixy, so I view it as learning a valuable lesson. Her machine has run ever since with a usb keyboard...much more restrictive than a usb dongle....
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13457 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Yep. Laptops are fiddly but there are a tonne of spares from parts breakers on eBay for almost any model.

I've done several module replacements over the years. Do find a YouTube video of someone opening your model of laptop first - there's lots of plastic tabs and tricks to do it that differ for each model.

You'll need some watchmaker's screwdrivers and some small torx bits too... Plus some tweezers. If you have a mobile phone opening kit, the little plastic plectrum is useful too.

I find a small magnetic tray as used on drilling machines etc is really good to keep all the little bits together.

Do be careful with the FFCs - there are two basic types of clamp - one where you pull out the clamp, one you lift.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#13458 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

Thanks for the advice and experience chaps. Sounds very much like it's heading in to "lots of time" catagory, something I'm short of.

Sadly if the dongle doesn't work I probably have the choices of live with the ethernet cable or buy a new laptop. :-(. Apart from the failed wifi the laptop's still okay and replacing it doesn't feel good from an earth's resources POV.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13459 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

It doesn't take long ... Just care... Probably about an hour at most to swap a WiFi board (and they normally are a separate board).

What model laptop?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#13460 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

It's an Acer Aspire 1810TZ
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13461 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

simon wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:57 pm It's an Acer Aspire 1810TZ
Couple of things. Firstly, replacement cards are cheap - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acer-Aspire- ... 3672203112

Secondly, just opening up the unit and reseating boards and cables may well sort the issue. Opening it up, wiping connectors with IPA and reseating, would be my first port of call.

If that fails, 5 quid for a replacement s/h card is less than a usb dongle and way more convenient.

...and you maintain your green credentials by recycling bits of another laptop ..
ed
retired

#13462 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

simon wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:57 pm It's an Acer Aspire 1810TZ
Hi Simon

I think it's Atheros AR8131 and I can't find one anywhere at any price.
Unless you have better luck searching then it may be down to a dongle.
The fruitless search doesn't surprise me as I beleive the machine may be 12 years old and networking has moved on considerably since 2009.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#13463 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

Thanks again chaps.
jack wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:15 pm Secondly, just opening up the unit and reseating boards and cables may well sort the issue. Opening it up, wiping connectors with IPA and reseating, would be my first port of call.
That sounds like a good idea. The tales of plastic lugs and the like to be damaged makes me a bit nervous though. I replaced the old hard drive when it died and just about got away with it so I should probably just be brave. And hope I don't knacker it.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#13464 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

ed wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:09 pm The fruitless search doesn't surprise me as I beleive the machine may be 12 years old and networking has moved on considerably since 2009.
Very true Ed, it's surprising the laptop as a whole is still useable with Win 10 and just 3GB of ram. But it's not like I'm using it for cad. Needs replacing really, perhaps Win 11 will be the end of the road?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#13465 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

Hmmm. I took the wifi card out earlier, only took a couple of minutes to open up, remove, clean and put back again (after a few minutes of YouTube :thumbright:). Turned it on again but it had made no difference.

I've just switched the laptop on again and it's finished installing a Windows update I didn't know about. And now the wifi works. I'd tried the network troubleshooter a few times over the last few days and it couldn't fix it. All's well that ends well I guess...
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#13466 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

Hmmm mk 2. So 5 mins after the wifi was working it's stopped again. Curious.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13467 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

simon wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:27 pm Hmmm mk 2. So 5 mins after the wifi was working it's stopped again. Curious.
Heat? Did you clean out the fans/filters etc. when you had it open?
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13468 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Had my Covid booster yesterday. God almighty. You know like when you're getting a bad cold or flu? Like that. Everything is aching. :x And my upper arm feels like someone's been at it with baseball bats ... :shock:

It was the Moderna

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#13469 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Toppsy »

I also had by Moderna covid booster jab yesterday and fortunately for me have suffered no ill effects at all. Unless you count a slight dull ache in my left arm around the area the needle went in. Didn't feel a thing when the nurse injected me. Must be just the luck of the draw as I have read others, like you Mike, have had similar reactions. You have my sympathies and hope you have a speedy recovery.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#13470 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

Mike H wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:50 am Had my Covid booster yesterday. God almighty. You know like when you're getting a bad cold or flu? Like that. Everything is aching. :x And my upper arm feels like someone's been at it with baseball bats ... :shock:

It was the Moderna
I was the same with the first jab, not good!