Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13126 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:39 pm
People have already pointed up that a season ticket fir five days a week is cheaper than for two or three days a week.
If true I don't see the problem. Get the cheapest ticket and only use it the days you need to.
Seems so obvious now you mention it. :oops:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13127 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Just watching a replay of the 1966 World cup final on TV, IN COLOUR.

Not normally into football but this is classic. :)

PS it's on 4, 2-1 at this moment.

Edmund Burke

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#13128 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hold on, 'old on. I watched that match back in 1966. I had a shilling on for Germany to win. It was in black and white.

Colour! Nonsense - that was not natural and could not have been.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13129 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:36 pm Hold on, 'old on. I watched that match back in 1966. I had a shilling on for Germany to win. It was in black and white.

Colour! Nonsense - that was not natural and could not have been.
Probably computerised trickery, but it looks real.

Now half time in extra time.

Edmund Burke

andrew Ivimey

#13130 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

They think it's all over.....

Spoiler alert!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
shane
Social outcast

#13131 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

The first event broadcast by BBC in colour was Wimbledon 1967.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
andrew Ivimey

#13132 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Well I never...
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13133 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:37 pm It looks like we'll get a rather good compromise of working two days at home every week, which is a bonus , out of all of this.
Maybe for some, but as one of the folk with a trade or job that can't WFH, how will employers make a very hands-on on-site specific job attractive to new recruits?

Salary restructuring?
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13134 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

pre65 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:58 pm
PS it's on 4, 2-1 at this moment.
3 TV channels showing the same kick-ball game?
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ant
Shed dweller

#13135 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Son no 1 had a presentation and q&a session through school with jim kennedy, ex nasa director today
Very interesting, got to ask him questions about all sorts of things. Of course some joker asked if aliens were real...

A few weeks ago they had one with the chief aerodynamicist from the aston martin f1 team.

Cant be bad, i cant remember ever having a q&a with anyone at all when i was at school
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#13136 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

I hope something positive comes of this;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57838473

The big labels are being disingenuous - failure to invest in upcoming artists would simply be cutting off their nose to spite their face, but it might open the door to independent labels filling that void, which may not be a bad thing.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Paul Barker

#13137 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Paul Barker »

Ant wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:51 pm Son no 1 had a presentation and q&a session through school with jim kennedy, ex nasa director today
Very interesting, got to ask him questions about all sorts of things. Of course some joker asked if aliens were real...

A few weeks ago they had one with the chief aerodynamicist from the aston martin f1 team.

Cant be bad, i cant remember ever having a q&a with anyone at all when i was at school
When I was 6 or 7 a man came to my junior school with wooden legs. Not old enough to take it in or comprehend what was going on. We were trooped out to the road where hed parked up, on a trailer behind was the business end of a fighter plane. Just the cockpit which with his wooden legs he climbed in and out of.

He gave us a very inspiring talk about how after he lost his legs in a crash he was determined to get back into a plane.

Our Head Mistresses husband was an action man, he taught us Judo and Boxing. When a bully picked on me in a queue for whatever reason, too long ago to remeber. Mr Wheatcroft picked us both out of the queue in front of whole school he put boxing gloves on us, and referied a boxing match which I lost and was utterly winded and gasping. But bullying was a non issue in double quick time. That particular bully never came after me again, I was beat up but I hurt him too, and it was safely controlled.

Mr Wheatcroft must have had contacts ref the inspiring pilot.

Shame teachers wouldnt be allowed to do that today. whole school knew a strong but fair man was overseeing them.

His wife the head teacher was a hard faced ruler wielder and rubber thrower. Chalk and Chease.

The Judo and Boxing lessons from that age actually prepeared me for boarding school where on three occasions, thanks to Mr Wheatcrofts influence I faught back three different bulleys, all three bigger than me (not hard) and thought they could start me off as their slave. Basically it was a horendous place where bullying was seen by the whole institution as the right of older boys, the ones being bullied and enslaved “would get their turn”. The first insident was early morning a bulley came to my bed and tried to smother me with a pillow, I managed to slide out of bed grab a lillow and turn it from a bulleying situation to a wannaby bully and a frail looking younger kid having a bizaar pillow fight. The younger kid was as before punch drunk and completely out of breath, but he never gave up and he never went down. In the end a bigger boy declared it was over. Id lost on points but that bulley never chose me to torment again. Youd be bored if I tell you the other two. But it was all because of Mr Wheatcrofts inspiration I had the tenacity to stay in a fight and not give up, and probably also the inspirational talk from the legless man with a Spitfire cockpit on a trailer.

When I was older I learned to fight properly and have only once used it in serious conflict when two teens on streets of Leeds thought they should have the pizza I,d just bought. I saw the glint of a knife, so I torned on them both and fronted up to them. I simply said “You dont know what Im capable of”. By then I was capable, but those school experiences gave me the spirit and I had learned proper skills too. The nearest one carrying the knife was my first target if Id had to Id have struck him rapidly and hed have gone out cold. They weighed up what I said and saw the look in my eyes, and calmed down and thought, you know what. he can have that pizza.! Thank mercy, but by then I did know knife defence and knockout strikes.

image hosting

Oh and my right to Bully when it was “my turn” . I never excercised it. Im just not that type of person.

I think ancient institutions like my bording school with those old disgraceful ways should be banned!

But there should be more men like Mr Wheatcroft as role models and they should be free to practice those ways in schools. But in the modern world, that will never happen. With lack of strong male role models the kids turn to county lines influences.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#13138 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Paul Barker »

Sorry the last bording schoolinsident is worth knowing its just flashed into my mind. A bulley called Twohey nasty piece of work, used to corner individuals and torture them. Anyway were about 15 then, Id not forgoten my junior school boxing reflexes, it was in muscle memory. Just me and Twohey stood outside assembly hall, the last two to go in, when Twohey decided hed have a go at me, so he gave me out of the blue a mighty hand slap on my right cheek. I didnt even think about it a rught hook was automatically from reflex and muscle memory smacked with a fist into his right cheek. Unbeknown to either of us the Head teacher a well built rugby player walked up behind us both and said, “Well done Barker, Twohey deserved that”. Phew.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#13139 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Shame teachers wouldnt be allowed to do that today. whole school knew a strong but fair man was overseeing them.

His wife the head teacher was a hard faced ruler wielder and rubber thrower. Chalk and Chease.
Sounds more like chalk and chalk to me just viewed through some gender expectations.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#13140 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

This reminds of when I was at school, I was picked on by the school bully for a while. He cornered me as I was coming back into school after playing cricket, I had a cricket bat in my hand at the time. Unsurprisingly with a bat/weapon in my hand, he came off the worse with a bust lip when hit him with it. He ended up doing to the headmaster complaining I had attacked him. The headmaster had seen the whole thing, we were called into the office, I was expecting to get caned. To my surprise the bully got 2 sets of lashings, the first for lying and the second for being stupid and picking on somebody with a bat in their hand.