Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#12526 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

Nick wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:27 pm
What’s wrong with the strobe disc for checking the speed.
Often now finding a light source that’s flashing at 50Hz is hard to find. But the main point for me is it should allow me to measure wow and flutter and get rotation information that’s not limited by the test disks accuracy, and on tables without a arm fitted.
Had a look at the spec and cost on the clearaudio measurement equipment I have, the 300hz strobe and disc costs almost as much as the new fangled approach. ( I didn’t pay anywhere near the current prices) So if I was to buy again would probably go with the new technology. Which approach is most accurate is another question. I worked on a project 20 years ago where we were installing a satellite guidance system, it was accurate to xx cm in yy km. The issue was mounting the sensors accurately enough to each other to get within an order of magnitude of the sensors capability. This device looks like it would have similar challenges.
The benefit of measuring fluctuations over time independent of its accuracy is useful for picking up belt slip, motor clogging or flat spots on idler wheels.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#12527 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

vinylnvalves wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:52 pm What’s wrong with the strobe disc for checking the speed. On rim drives you can adjust it on the speed, belt drives are a more tricky situation if it’s an synchronous motor.
I found a strobe disc a pain in the bum with a Lenco. Dead easy with Nick’s supply of course.
Nick
Site Admin

#12528 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

I worked on a project 20 years ago
That may be the important bit.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#12529 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Would it not have some effect on W and F? I’d have thought a cleaner running motor would improve these figures?
Oh, I agree, I just said may not. Measuring will do no harm.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#12530 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

Yes there maybe corrections logic now.. but machining accuracy and placement won’t be any different, we were challenged by the size of the vehicle which affected the accuracy of triangulation between the sensors. My point was this device looks small if the sensors where further away from the axis of rotation it would be more accurate.
Nick
Site Admin

#12531 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

We will see. They make a turntable, I suspect the device came from them wanting to measure their own product. W&F is problematic, I have several ways of measuring it ATM, but they all depend on test disks.
Ant
Shed dweller

#12532 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Came across this pair of maplin millennium monoblocks on fleabay while browsing this morning,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millennium-E ... 890.l49292

Must admit to being tempted, danbury transformers in it, and at least visually well built.

Bet they sound pretty good for not huge money

The fact that they arent a mirror image pair would drive me crackers though
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12533 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Ant wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:54 am Came across this pair of maplin millennium monoblocks on fleabay while browsing this morning,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Millennium-E ... 890.l49292

Must admit to being tempted, danbury transformers in it, and at least visually well built.

Bet they sound pretty good for not huge money

The fact that they arent a mirror image pair would drive me crackers though
I am tempted but have a whole shed full of stuff, plus the boss would be dischuffed.

Looking at the modular chassis, I wonder if with a bit of fettling, they could be reconfigured...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12534 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Maths was never my strong point, but I've always believed in the processes.

Now, a YouTube video that "proves" 1 = 2. He also states that maths can make any two numbers equal.

If the maths shown are correct, then (to me) it destroys my belief in maths.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Neal
Shed dweller

#12535 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Neal »

Found out it’s not a good idea to block cloudfront.net. Why? ‘cause it pisses off the wife who’s kindle stopped downloading books and everything became ‘queued’ which resulted in a 30min call to Amazon support where her account subscription was suspended and cancelled as part of the ‘troubleshooting’ and then re enabled, a factory reset of the Kindle and loss of all her saved authors and an escalation to L3 support! It was only after we hung up waiting for the support guys to call back in the next 24hrs that it occurred to me that blocking Amazons content delivery service in PiHole may just be the cause! Doh!
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#12536 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by izzy wizzy »

It doesn't prove 1=2 coz there's an error in the working as he explains
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12537 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

DOH !! I missed that bit.

Forget I spoke. (most of you do anyway).
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#12538 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Absolutely. Half way through he quietly divided by zero, at which point all bets are off...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#12539 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Btw. Maths doesn't need "belief"
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#12540 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by mainscablesrus »

steve s wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:01 pm Dave should rent one of those meters out, I'd happily pay £15 or so for weeks use
Try buying it your tight arsed t....t

LOL
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi