Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Michael L
Old Hand

#13531 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

On BBC R4 'You and Yours' programme, people from affected parts of Northumbria and Yorkshire said the winds normally came from the NW but this time they were from the NE. Plant, trees etc were exposed to the novel very high winds perhaps for the first time in many years. One person said he or she had a generator but it was nowhere near powerful enough to run the heat pump.
Why would it be that 3 phase heat pumps are cheaper to run?
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13532 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

3phase motors are more efficient than single phase ones.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
steve s
Shed dweller

#13533 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

My brother always had 3 phase in his workshops (garden machinery) and always said it was cheaper to run 3 phase equipment
Looking up electricity costs today that looks doubtfull, but as jack says there are other gains.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13534 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Running a 3-phase vs single phase heat pump only gives a few more percent in efficiency but it all counts. It wouldn't be cost effective to put in 3-phase especially for the heat pump, but we had it on site already as these originally were farm buildings.

Sizing your generator to the necessary load is 101 territory. Complaining post facto is pointless.

Ground source heat pumps are basically largish fridges in reverse with a heat exchanger and internal and external circulation pumps - they are not a huge load at all.
steve s
Shed dweller

#13535 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

So what's your view of the running costs and capability of your system Nick ?

I've looked into them and decided to hang fire.. hence the 2nd wood burner.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13536 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

steve s wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:51 am So what's your view of the running costs and capability of your system Nick ?

I've looked into them and decided to hang fire.. hence the 2nd wood burner.
It's difficult to compare systems... Our heat pump was installed as part of the complete "green" self-build and conversion we did in 2005 so a lot of the heavy equipment was onsite anyway.

Since 12/05 it has run faultlessly with no annual servicing. Just an occasional top up for the exterior loop - about 1.5 litres/year lost to osmosis.

This is a big house - about 4500 sq ft plus outbuildings - and last year we spent about £2,500 pa on electricity. This year it'll be about 3,500, but that includes a cottage and my offices in the grounds.

The heat pump does all hot water and heating using a mix of traditional emitters and UFH.

There Is a backup woodburner and ... an Aga... sigh. It's only used during winter months and was non-negotiable...
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13537 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Saga STILL HAVEN'T AGREED TO THE REPAIR of my LandRover even though the other party admitted fault immediately (over 6 weeks ago). After many weeks of hassle, I raised a complaint and was called last Monday and was assured it'd be approved by Tues, or Wednesday at the latest.

Tuesday: Nothing
Wednesday: Nothing
Thursday: Nothing
Friday: Yep, you guessed: Nothing

So, on Friday afternoon I ring Saga to find out if they spend their weeks very earnestly doing "Nothing" as they seem to generate a lot of it.

After speaking to a very nice lady, she tried to find out what was happening but couldn't contact anyone as they all went home at 3pm, so basically yet more "Nothing".

She did give me the option of raising another complaint about the non-performance of my first complaint. Really? Seriously?
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#13538 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

Decided to put my winter tyres on today. Noticed the normal tyres have all got cracks running circumferential around the tyres at the bottom of the treads. Front ones are about 3 years old.. but have had little use over the last 20 months. Doubt there is any point of following it up with the supplier/ manufacturer. That will be £800 I hadn’t accounted for in the spring, Won’t be fitting British tyres again no more Goodyear’s - back to Continentals.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13539 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

vinylnvalves wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:08 pm Decided to put my winter tyres on today. Noticed the normal tyres have all got cracks running circumferential around the tyres at the bottom of the treads. Front ones are about 3 years old.. but have had little use over the last 20 months. Doubt there is any point of following it up with the supplier/ manufacturer. That will be £800 I hadn’t accounted for in the spring, Won’t be fitting British tyres again no more Goodyear’s - back to Continentals.
Are there still British tyres ?

My last set of tyres were Avon, but not made in UK. :(
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13540 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

In general I abhor very cheap tyres, I give them a generic name of "ying tong". :lol:

BUT, having said that, my CRV came with newish "ying tong" tyres, different brands front/rear, and I had no reason to slate them. Me being a reasonably steady driver 98% of the time they never got pushed very hard.

Edmund Burke

Ali Tait
Eternally single

#13541 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ali Tait »

vinylnvalves wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:08 pm Decided to put my winter tyres on today. Noticed the normal tyres have all got cracks running circumferential around the tyres at the bottom of the treads. Front ones are about 3 years old.. but have had little use over the last 20 months. Doubt there is any point of following it up with the supplier/ manufacturer. That will be £800 I hadn’t accounted for in the spring, Won’t be fitting British tyres again no more Goodyear’s - back to Continentals.
Have Goodyears on mine, I’ll check them over. Paid a similar amount, I’d be pretty unhappy if they were cracking as you describe.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#13542 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

Spoke to my tyre supplier - it’s normal with circumferential grooved treads to crack... did point out the 2 on the back which are a different batch haven’t cracked as bad. They can send them back to Goodyear .. it’s a lottery whether or not they will pay out, but you don’t get the tyres back if it’s not a manufacturers fault. He said avoid circumferential grooved tyre patterns, hmmm... only get tyres you can use when it’s not wet, like Michelin ones which last for ever but don’t work in the wet to well.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13543 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

vinylnvalves wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:09 am only get tyres you can use when it’s not wet, like Michelin ones which last for ever but don’t work in the wet to well.
When I started driving in the 60s that may well have been true. Anyone remember the Michelin X ?

BUT, check any up to date tyre comparison chart and see for your self. One of the things they measure is wet grip so you can compare Michelin with it's rivals.

Out of general interest, what particular Michelin tyre were you thinking about ?

Edmund Burke

vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#13544 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by vinylnvalves »

I have had pilots in the past which weren’t that good in the wet. I generally went for low rolling resistance, as was putting 15k on them just going into the office. With working from home my mileage is now about 6k, for everything, so maybe I consider an all season tyres and don’t bother about rolling resistance. It has to be said though my winter tyres which are only 205 wide not the stupidly wide 235 needed for the alloys gives me about 5 mpg better even with M&S tyres on.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#13545 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Just for comparison, in the UAE all tyres have a date moulded into them.

By law, all tyres have to be changed every 3 years regardless of tread - they're checks as part of their equivalent of our MOT.

Yes, that's mainly down to the heat, but it's an interesting concept.