Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#106 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Well how does this sound..... it would have been lovely to see you lot again but the sound ( not the music) is only kind of 'secondary'. Bloody cold too, down here in the Shire. I hope you all had a brilliant time. Cheers to those who had a long journey.

Very bestest!!!!!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#107 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Ray P »

I managed to get home to Somerset in just a little over 3.5hrs - non-stop apart from a refuel on the M42 south of Birmingham - not bad compared with the marathon 5.5hrs coming up, though that was due to a big crash bringing me to a halt for nearly 1.5hrs rather than the weather. Although it was cold and windy, and there was a good smattering of snow visible from Gloucester northwards, the weather didn't really affect me getting to Owston.

Anyway, even though I only had a couple of hours it was good to see people, both old and new acquaintances, and to hear some projects, again both old and new.

Thanks to Steve for pulling it together - already looking forward to the next one -determined to try and get up the evening before if at all possible and to bring a system.

Finally, thanks to everyone who, because of my late running, covered my slice of the room and grub funds - I'll make a donation to the British Heart Foundation for the amount so your generosity will be well used.

Time to get my head down now!
Last edited by Ray P on Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
chris661
Shed dweller

#108 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by chris661 »

I also made it back okay. The roads were pretty clear all the way home - much easier to pass than this morning.

Many thanks to Steve for organising, and the rest of you for making it a great day out.

Chris
Neal
Shed dweller

#109 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Neal »

What no Sunday?
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#110 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by pre65 »

Neal wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:18 amWhat no Sunday?
Yes, and no. :(

It seems the pub has double booked the hall for Sunday lunchtime, and after talking with the deputy manager (ess) we have agreed to vacate the hall by late morning.

My kit is still in situ, but I don't imagine there will be a lot done before it's time to clear up. :cry:

Anyway, got a hearty Hotel breakfast to look forward to in the morning. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
NSNO2021
New User

#111 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by NSNO2021 »

Sorry I didn't get over yesterday, I spent the majority of the day with my brother replacing and repairing damaged fence panels and posts.at my mother's. I hope those hardy souls who did make it had a great time. Regards Paul
lindsayt
User

#112 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by lindsayt »

A big thanks to Steve for organising it, to the staff at the Owston Inn and to everybody that brought some equipment.
Without the exhibitors there is no Owston event.

I know I will be singing to the choir here and stating what was very obvious to anyone that attended.

But for me, yesterday was a re-affirmation that right now in 2021 the real value for money in hi-fi comes from DIY.
And that it's increasingly difficult to justify in logical terms going to a dealers and buying brand new commercial gear - inparticular speakers.

A few examples.
If you want some lifestyle speakers that are small, would look at home in a Hollywood movie set in a trendy New York apartment and are quite listenable, spend £700 on a kit from Germany.

If your speaker budget is under £500 and you're not into DIY, buy a pair of Fane full range drivers and either glue and screw your own cabinets or get a mate or cabinet maker to do it for you.

If you're highly ambitious and only the very best sounding speakers will do for you, then clone someone else's masterpieces. And even if you subcontract the construction, you should still get change out of £5000. In the rarified field of mega audiophile speakers, this is a bargain.

And that's just the speakers. Yesterday we had examples of highly accomplished DIY amplifiers, a tonearm and a CD player.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#113 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Mike H »

Got in 1:55 pm.

First order of business, a brew up of tea with a shot of whiskey in it and feet up on the radiator

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!

Quite a bit of snow over the Lincolnshire Wolds, and north Lincs generally. Very picturesque. I went home via Brigg to Caistor and B1225. Looks like an interesting route will have to remember it. Much more betterer than the way up on Friday.

It was a good do. Many thanks to Steve S for organizing and was great to meet up again. Got some snaps to put up later.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ant
Shed dweller

#114 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Ant »

Just put the system back together along with the amazing self repairing b1 pre
Couldnt face struggling with the speakers again yesterday
Bloody things
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#115 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Mike H »

As threatened, just a few pix. Sorry can't remember what it all was, or I didn't catch it/didn't sink in, so please fill in the gaps. :D

#1. pre65 (Phil), MoFo SE amps (MOSFET's on giant heatrsinks), and a <fill-in-blank-here> valve preamp. The DVD player come CD player was throwing its toys out its pram to start with by refusing to recognise discs were inserted, but behaved itself later. Otherwise as suggested the next stage might have been threaten it with big 'ammer.
-
IMG_4112.jpg
IMG_4112.jpg (160.71 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
-
#2.
IMG_4118.jpg
IMG_4118.jpg (167.37 KiB) Viewed 1936 times
-
#3.
IMG_4113.jpg
IMG_4113.jpg (191.65 KiB) Viewed 1936 times

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#116 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by pre65 »

I got home about 2:30 having had a trouble free drive with moderate traffic.

Like Mike, 1st job was to put kettle on and have a cup of my favourite coffee. Then turn heater thermostat up and get laptop going.

After that I put a DIY pork casserole in the oven, should be ready about 5:30. :D

Thanks to Steve S for organising the event, and for everyone who turned up despite the weather. Nice to meet old friends and a few new ones.

It's a pity we had the Sunday session curtailed, but Paul managed to find the problem with his 801 amp, and when it was tried on my system (the only one still intact) it sounded very good.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#117 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Mike H »

#4. Steve and Ant. Turntable is Ant's and I believe with the homemade arm. All sounded fab to me. Speakers are also Ant's with some sort of special porting, and fluffy wallpaper covering on the exterior.
-
IMG_4114.jpg
IMG_4114.jpg (173.43 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
-
#5.
IMG_4115.jpg
IMG_4115.jpg (174.78 KiB) Viewed 1929 times
-
#6. the Poundland 45 – aka, 12 quids worth of chopping boards from Poundland glued together. Have to say I liked this a lot. Steve, don't fiddle with it anymore, it's fine. :lol:
-
IMG_4116.jpg
IMG_4116.jpg (182.86 KiB) Viewed 1929 times

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#118 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Cressy Snr »

pre65 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:30 pm I got home about 2:30 having had a trouble free drive with moderate traffic…

…Paul managed to find the problem with his 801 amp, and when it was tried on my system (the only one still intact) it sounded very good.
Good to hear on both counts.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
lindsayt
User

#119 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by lindsayt »

pre65 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:30 pm
...It's a pity we had the Sunday session curtailed, but Paul managed to find the problem with his 801 amp, and when it was tried on my system (the only one still intact) it sounded very good.

Yesterday was a good example of the heartache you can get when you DIY. With the disappointing sound of the 801 amp.

It was one of those where it had all the ingredients for being a fine sounding amp, but something clearly wasn't right with it.

With it being a work in progress I was confident that Paul would get it sorted sooner or later.
It's encouraging to hear that he got it on song so quickly.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#120 Re: Owston meet 27+28 Nov 21-add your name here

Post by Mike H »

What it was, turned out the interstage TX's might be bifilar wound, but even if not were connected wrong way round so big capacitance between the windings sapping all the treble out. Paul brought his soldering iron, reversed the connections then all was magical goodness. :lol: