The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#3046 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:38 pm This year's going to be a write-off - the rehab after major surgery (it counts as major as it takes 2-3 hours and has significant risks) is 9 months...
Better late than never!
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3047 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

I don't recognise all those lakes, by Alpe d'Huez ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3048 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

So are they going to patch up the existing knee joint, Nick, or give you a new one ?
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#3049 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:24 pm So are they going to patch up the existing knee joint, Nick, or give you a new one ?
Regrettably, a new knee
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3050 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Probably best to save further faff. Lots of hammer and chisel action then ? :D
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3051 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:46 pm Probably best to save further faff. Lots of hammer and chisel action then ? :D
Angle grinder and cutting disc. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#3052 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

An orthopedic surgeon friend describes his job as "carpentry"...

Apparently you can have the OP with just local anaesthetic.

No. Give me the happy pills and lots of them...
Ray P

#3053 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:58 pm I don't recognise all those lakes, by Alpe d'Huez ?
It's the nature of Zwift's virtual world Mark, it's an accurate rendering of the Alpe d'Huez climb with respect to the route, gradients, etc. but geographically the coordinates are somewhere in the Pacific so Strava renders your route on a the map in that location. You don't see that in Zwift, you see it's rendering of the climb as per the picture of the road I included with the post.
Ray P

#3054 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:57 pm An orthopedic surgeon friend describes his job as "carpentry"...

Apparently you can have the OP with just local anaesthetic.

No. Give me the happy pills and lots of them...
Have they talked about possible 'after-affects'? When they do this sort of surgery'debris' can apparently affects the one way 'valves' that help to stop all our blood ending up in our feet and that can cause water retention and blood staining in the lower leg - I've had both since having my hip screwed back together. I have no discomfort with it but it's best to be aware.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#3055 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Lots of leaflets and discussion. There's a risk of blood clots, death, sepsis, uprisings in the Balkans, rejection (been there), all sorts...
Greg
Social outcast

#3056 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Greg »

jack wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:07 pm Still not cycling - now waiting for my knee op...

Seeing the consultant in 10 days... now out of the NHS and have been passed/outsourced to a Nuffield Health clinic on the lists of, luckily, the knee surgeon I wanted to use and if push came to shove and the pain got too much, I would have paid significant moolah to have seen privately...

So, essentially it's a private health op in a private clinic but on the NHS, so no/very small waiting time and no extra costs... NHS in this area are doing this quite a lot as it means they can concentrate on the seriously acute stuff, like cancer patients and the routine irritating dross, like me, get shipped off into the private sector.
Enjoy your post code privilege! My brother also lives in Kent and received similar fast process for both his knee replacement ops on the nhs, contracted out to a private hospital. In contrast, living in Bristol, I had to wait a statutory 6 months delay after referral for each knee before pre-op process even started. That’s after a year of pain and disability for each knee accordingly. In total it took over three years to get both knees fixed and like you, I was farmed out to a private service contracted by the nhs.

The geographical inequality of service really pisses me off. No doubt it pisses others in need off as well. No doubt it is the usual London centric thing. A bit like you got the best service and opportunity in the USSR, the closer you lived to Moscow.

I’m pleased for you that your knee will soon be fixed, but please be sensitive on this public forum, as others living elsewhere in the U.K. who are equally entitled, but are not being treated equally, are not privileged with the first class level of service you are getting.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#3057 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

With all due respect, this saga started in February, so it's taken 4 months to get to this stage and will probably still be a month or so before the op (depending on the doctor's lists).

I suspect also that the NHS's change of heart wrt my op is largely due to us having an extremely helpful and proactive local GP surgery with excellent and committed doctors and staff who work tirelessly for their patients. The surgery have really chased this (as they do for all their patients) and I can't thank them enough.

So it'll still be 6 months from the start. I know that's pretty good, but I'm certainly not gloating and it's precisely nothing to do with being close to London - it's just local NHS Trust policy and is due to the hospitals here just not being able to cope otherwise with the backlog of vastly more serious patients. I'm sure it's happening elsewhere in the country too, and who knows, maybe even North of Watford and West of Reading ?

The SE is very densely populated and there are 4 main hospitals, three of which are quite old and the newest one is a bit of a nightmare. Whilst there are some well-off areas, there's real economic deprivation too. It's popular and easy to have a pop at the SE, but the SE is not just London.
Ray P

#3058 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Wet weather again today so garage ride again - I set myself the challenge of riding the Alpe d'Huez climb again so that's twice on consecutive days. I was about 2mins slower today as I took it steady and didn't put in the same effort over the last mile as I did yesterday. Feeling good that I did it without any difficuty.
Ray P

#3059 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

I exceeded 500Watts output on the trainer this evening - admittedly I only held it for a few seconds but it's a good milestone.

I've mostly ridden in the garage this week - it maximises the available workout time, which has been reduced by working longer hours.
Ray P

#3060 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

2021 Tour de France gets underway tomorrow - it's a tough route so should be three weeks of good viewing. It'll be interesting to see how Ineos play it with at least three potential winners on the rota.

And Chris Froome reduced to domestique duties - I'm beginning to think he may not have a team next year.