New to me Deck

301, 401, plinths and assorted idler stuff
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

the ball is phosphor bronze and sits in a thingy. this is softer than the spindle so should wear first. the seller suggests you can rotate the ball when you see wear after a year or two and sends two spare balls

they're listed again now listed again now, but the price has increased by about £1.50 so its a bit expensive now :wink:
Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

What size were the balls richard, i cant remember. Looked like about 5mm?

If so, i have a ceramic ball you could try too.

It wouldnt be hard to get the little plastic bit remabe in steel so its a solid support, then use a ceramic or ruby ball.

It would sound different, just a matter of good/bad/ or just different.

Only slight issue is the spindle would wear more but pretty much every TT ive had has a hard ball and the spindles dont seem to wear significantly.
Bizzie
Old Hand

Post by Bizzie »

It has been suggested in the past that it may not be a good idea to use anything hard as the bearing surface as its better for the bearing to wear rather than the spindle as the spindle is harder/more expensive to replace so a ceramic ball may not be the best thing to use.
Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

Yep, i know, but its not a problem in most TT's.

Dont know how 'soft' the garrard spindle is, there were signs of wear on richards but nothing bad.

The garrards are the only TT ive come across that specificaly use a soft surface and let it wear. Ive not a great deal of experience with different TT's though.
Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

Another thought.

Ive used pieces of 'feeler guage' as thrust pads before (im currently using a piece of stanley knife blade!), if the garrard spindles are soft you could always bond a piece of thin feeler guage on the bottom of the spindle.
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

yep looks like 5mm to me measuring rather crudely with a tape measure

i believe the slatedeck solution uses a ceramic ball

be interesting to compare with a harder ball and mount to see how it affects the sound and how much
Deco-Doctor
User

Post by Deco-Doctor »

removed
Last edited by Deco-Doctor on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme
Needs to get out more

Post by Graeme »

Yep, there are risks if the spindle isnt up to it.

I did lengthy testing when i set mp my lenco bearing and i found the harder the ball and thrust plate the quieter the bearing became.

However, this made the bearing way to free spinning which effected the sound for the worst.

I then went with a slightly softer ball (ruby) and although the bearing was slightly noisier it sounded better.

Then, messing with oils, i found a thicker oil that provides a bit of 'drag' sounded better than thinner oils, even though it ment the bearing was less free spinning.

All TT's ive owned had a steel shaft and steel ball, never had one with a ball softer than the spindle and ive never seen any wear on a spindle, except for the slight markings on the 401 spindle.

maybe garrards spindles are just a little soft?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

This e-bay seller seems more reasonable !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PLATTER-DAMPING-R ... 240%3A1318
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

yes, that's the same guy that did the phospor bronze ball bearings for the spindle

difficult to get a sense of what they look like from the photo though
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

so i had a play with some blue tack and a big thick elastic band from the postie.

with the rings on and the mat off i conducted some "tapping the platter tests"

adding blue tack to the bottom further reduced the ringing but not completly at the outer edge (the platter rings more even with the rings on if you tap it towards its outer edge)

adding the elastic band on top of one of the rings pretty much completly stopped all ringing (to my surprise)

listening to music i think the sound has become crisper. a worthwhile improvement for me. ymmv

aesthetics are poor though :?