Prince Philip has died aged 99.

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Prince Philip has died aged 99.

Post by pre65 »

Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II's husband, has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace has announced.

In a statement shortly after midday, the palace said: "His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle."

The duke, who was the longest-serving consort in British history, had returned to Windsor Castle on 16 March after spending a month in hospital.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11437314
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2 Re: Prince Philip has died aged 99.

Post by jack »

I doubt that any of us don't know that Prince Philip has died just short of his 100th birthday.

What I'd forgotten were his warm feelings about engineers.

https://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/prince-phi...god-57040/
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35201197
https://www.raeng.org.uk/grants-prizes/p...ilip-medal

"Prince Philip said: “everything not invented by God is invented by an engineer”. He went on to add that engineers hold the key to the future of humanity and its ability to continue to thrive on the planet."

Also, on Radio 4 Today programme, "‘engineers come only second to God"...

I think he should also have given some credit to scientists regarding the future of humanity. It's probably true that engineers invent everything but scientists do tell us what already exists for the engineers to then play with.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Prince Philip has died aged 99.

Post by IslandPink »

Very good.
I was surprised to find out more about his early years and how bad it was. His family basically disintegrated.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#4 Re: Prince Philip has died aged 99.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

It was remarkably bad. What wasn't said on the Beeb was that two of his sisters married high ranking Nazis, he himself in his teens loved all those smart uniforms and Jack boots and his remaining sister spent most of her life in a mental hospital ( like his mum). His dad was pure parasite.

He never got his telegram from the Queen .
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#5 Re: Prince Philip has died aged 99.

Post by jack »

Actually three sisters married German nobles who later became Nazis. One of those subsequently joined a plot to kill Hitler (Operation Valkerie) and was lucky to escape being executed.

Another sister was killed along with her children and husband in a plane crash. He went to Germany for the funeral (aged 16) and was pictured with relatives wearing Nazi uniforms. Not that surprising really and hardly his fault.

I'm certainly no royalist, but I think that you're being a tad unfair. He's not responsible for what his sisters, their husbands or his father did.

His mother was born partially deaf and had at least one schizophrenic episode. However she recovered. During WW2 she sheltered Jews in Athens and was recognised by Yad Vashem - she is buried on the Mount of Olives. After the war she set up an order of nuns, became a nun herself, and devoted herself to charity.

He was also instrumental in banishing Edward VIII and Simpson after their dalliances with the Nazis.

https://www.jta.org/2021/04/09/global/p ... dies-at-99

He had no truck with Nazis, had a distinguished war record fighting them, and was well liked by the Jewish community.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#6 Re: Prince Philip has died aged 99.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Then I'm being more than a tad unfair and I apologise.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#7 Re: Prince Philip has died aged 99.

Post by Ray P »

As someone who has developed something of a dislike for the instititon that is the monarchy I find myself being pretty ambivilent about the wall to wall coverage, special programs etc. though I have enormous respect for the Queen who has dedicated her life to a job she had very little choice about with great dignity (unlike some of her offspring!). The Queen is a person the same as you and I and I can only imagine how devastated she must feel at the loss of the man who has been her rock for so long, especially as part of her job description seems to be to internalise emotion.

Philip had a good innings and seems to have been essentially a good and honest man and as Nick (Jack) has said knowledgable and supportive of British industry, science and technology. As for his 'gaffes', I think he was simply of his generation - I cringe when I occasionally hear my mum saying similar things.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!