Fascist State?

ed
retired

#16 Re: Fascist State?

Post by ed »

I had one ear on the BBC news at midday. The standard news report suggested that there were a few thousand legit protesters(covid accepted) in the original protest and then 300 or 400 broke away and travelled to the police station where the violence kicked off...these 300 or 400 are now being targetted by the police......

my cynical head thinks...what if the govt had something to do with subverting the protest to further their cause in passing the bill. As usual there seem to be a small number being totally counter productive to the cause.

I then half caught a report from an mp, maybe the mp for Bristol, who pointed out the deep history of legit protest in this country and illustrated how this bill would eat into our democratic rights.....I failed to remember the name of the mp in question but it sure sounded like common sense to me.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Greg
Social outcast

#17 Re: Fascist State?

Post by Greg »

I think the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill 2021 is a dangerous piece of ill thought out legislation and is the thin end of the wedge on restricting civil liberty. As a retired Bristol police officer, I would readily have joined yesterday’s peaceful protest were the gathering not illegal under (IMO sensible) Covid legislation.

The rioters had a different agenda. They were from the anarchistic fraternity of which Bristol has a sizeable share in its population. Of course there were plenty of hanging on wankers who just wanted to be part of the ‘party’.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#18 Re: Fascist State?

Post by Cressy Snr »

But who is doing the asking and what are they asking? Both these things matter. What if you don't agree with what is being asked? What if you question the authority and validly of whoever is asking?
They’ll do it anyway. A bit like the boss does at work.
That is by definition, not doing as asked. What should you do if the protest is ignored?
You keep it up, and up and up: not reacting to the right wing agitators who wade amongst the sitting masses, kicking heads and gobbing on you, no matter how much it hurts...You keep it up until they listen.....Or you could smash up your own neighbourhood I suppose. Far easier than fully committing to a cause and being prepared to suffer for your beliefs.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Nick
Site Admin

#19 Re: Fascist State?

Post by Nick »

Cressy Snr wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:18 pm
But who is doing the asking and what are they asking? Both these things matter. What if you don't agree with what is being asked? What if you question the authority and validly of whoever is asking?
They’ll do it anyway. A bit like the boss does at work.
That is by definition, not doing as asked. What should you do if the protest is ignored?
You keep it up, and up and up: not reacting to the right wing agitators who wade amongst the sitting masses, kicking heads and gobbing on you, no matter how much it hurts...You keep it up until they listen.....Or you could smash up your own neighbourhood I suppose. Far easier than fully committing to a cause.
So you agree that you should not "If people just did as they were damn’ well asked for once"?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: Fascist State?

Post by Cressy Snr »

I’d be torn apart in a court of law that’s for sure.
However, just in case anyone thinks I’m all for this legislation, nothing could be further from the truth. There is protest and there is protest. It’s all a matter of degree. Stay home, protect the NHS blah blah is one thing and people should bloody well comply where they are able to. There are people who cannot comply, have to work and will lose everything before long, but there are plenty of idiots about who are a law unto themselves. The police are between a rock and a hard place when trying to deal with these fools. I’ve every sympathy with them.

Protest against this insidious erosion of civil liberties is justified. All I’m saying is that would be protesters need to seriously think about how to go about things in the most effective manner. Marching with placards and shouting “what do we want xxxxxxx when do we want it now” is old hat and futile. Violence and trashing your neighbourhood is also futile as it entrenches opposition to your cause and public sympathy goes out the window.
Passive resistance might be better, but it is a very, very serious business and demands absolute commitment and a willingness to suffer personal harm for the cause, as many brave people abroad have found out the hard way when faced with the actions of a ruthless regime. Most people including me, don’t have anything like that kind of commitment. The government knows this.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#21 Re: Fascist State?

Post by pre65 »

"Six people have been arrested for violent disorder and one for possession of an offensive weapon."

So, when proven guilty, up to 10 years locked up ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#22 Re: Fascist State?

Post by IslandPink »

I don't think the legislation has passed yet, has it ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#23 Re: Fascist State?

Post by Cressy Snr »

IslandPink wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:22 pm I don't think the legislation has passed yet, has it ?
I don’t think it has, and it is up to our elected representatives to oppose and try to stop its passing. A couple of thousand people bawling and shouting in the middle of Bristol and a few of them smashing some windows and torching a cop car will do nothing to prevent it.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#24 Re: Fascist State?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I don't think we have enough of 'our elected representatives' to stop this appalling bill to become law.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Greg
Social outcast

#25 Re: Fascist State?

Post by Greg »

The Bill is currently processing through parliament. It is not yet law, that is why it is a Bill and not an Act. Worry is, the Conservative parliamentary majority could readily see the Bill passed and thus enshrined in law once Royal assent is given. What annoys me most is, apart from the draconian penalties this legislation would afford, we already have sufficient law to deal with the disorder targeted by this Bill. It’s just that the Police service to date has been reluctant to enforce it. Priti ‘little head’ Patel could do better by requiring the Police service (when necessary) to be more demonstrative.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#26 Re: Fascist State?

Post by Ali Tait »

ed wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:53 pm I had one ear on the BBC news at midday. The standard news report suggested that there were a few thousand legit protesters(covid accepted) in the original protest and then 300 or 400 broke away and travelled to the police station where the violence kicked off...these 300 or 400 are now being targetted by the police......

my cynical head thinks...what if the govt had something to do with subverting the protest to further their cause in passing the bill. As usual there seem to be a small number being totally counter productive to the cause.

I then half caught a report from an mp, maybe the mp for Bristol, who pointed out the deep history of legit protest in this country and illustrated how this bill would eat into our democratic rights.....I failed to remember the name of the mp in question but it sure sounded like common sense to me.
Must admit I had the same thought re. the subversion.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#27 Re: Fascist State?

Post by IslandPink »

"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#28 Re: Fascist State?

Post by Ali Tait »

Just watched that, this came up after-

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#29 Re: Fascist State?

Post by Ray P »

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Michael L
Old Hand

#30 Re: Fascist State?

Post by Michael L »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56915918

Five claims fact checked in today's PMQ. Well done Doris - one was correct.
It's truly unsettling that even worse candidates wait in the shadows if Scummings can chip enough of his teflon coating.
Imagine Pritti Patel PM. Sleep well folks