#1 EVH RIP

Post by The Stratmangler »

Chris :happy3:
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: EVH RIP

Post by Nick »

Bugger.

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#3 Re: EVH RIP

Post by Scottmoose »

Massive loss. :(
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#4 Re: EVH RIP

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I dunno.

Very sad when anybody creative dies but he doesn't and didn't do a thing for me. This interview doesn't go well either, imho.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#5 Re: EVH RIP

shane
Social outcast

#6 Re: EVH RIP

Post by shane »

I’ve never been much of an EVH fan, I guess because he came along after all my major music tastes had been formed so I didn’t take much notice. Perhaps I should, because I’ve never seen so many tributes to one rock artist from his peers. Maybe Bowie came close to it when he shuffled off but I can’t think of another one. What really amazed me were tributes from the likes of Richie Blackmore siting him as a major influence despite the fact that he must have been active for the best part of ten years before EVH got going.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
andrew Ivimey

#7 Re: EVH RIP

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I ve been thinking about this too. I agree with you,Chris, about having musical tastes largely formed before EVH came along.. But haven't got much further! I really like that young Dutch man you exampled oN EVH'S style. Like Pilgrim they are both young witty very enthusiastic excellent teachers and very competent.

I've seen a youTube video of John Mayer teaching - yuk, awful! Just play your guitar young man!

And I suppose, because I cant do that harmonics trick on the fretboard, EVH's style doesn't grab me, also jaundiced my opinion. My humble opinion is not that important!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#8 Re: EVH RIP

Post by Nick »

I remember when the first album came out and it was a complete new direction for guitar. Ok, some of it was about with the likes of Schenker but I remember it was a "what the hell" moment. And a lot of players I knew went in that entire new direction. followed by getting floyd rose's and variac's. I played some of the first album at the last Owston which to a large extent emptied the room, so each to his own. My point at the time was that a system should be able to play EVH and RAM as well as polite Jazz.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#9 Re: EVH RIP

Nick wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:19 pm I remember when the first album came out and it was a complete new direction for guitar. Ok, some of it was about with the likes of Schenker but I remember it was a "what the hell" moment. And a lot of players I knew went in that entire new direction. followed by getting floyd rose's and variac's. I played some of the first album at the last Owston which to a large extent emptied the room, so each to his own. My point at the time was that a system should be able to play EVH and RAM as well as polite Jazz.
I missed the Van Halen, Nick, but I fully agree with your point about an audio system.
It does it all to a decent standard, or it's broken.

Hearing the 1st Van Halen album was a real WTF moment.
Each song was done live, solos and all, with very little in the way of overdubs barring the vocals
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#10 Re: EVH RIP

Post by Scottmoose »

Amen. It doesn't matter whether you like EVH's playing style, or more likely, Van Halen as a band. The talent was staggering, and the fact is he changed things. The sheer number of his fellow musicians who've said in interviews during his lifetime (and even more now) that they heard the first album, and literally didn't know how he got those sounds says everything you really need to know about how good / inventive he was. And how many thousands did he inspire to pick up a guitar, Stick or anything else, and play, directly or otherwise? Quite a legacy in itself.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: EVH RIP

Post by Mike H »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:18 am I dunno.

Very sad when anybody creative dies but he doesn't and didn't do a thing for me. This interview doesn't go well either, imho.
I liked the interview, I was most interested about the "mechanics" of how he did things - e.g. getting a variac so he could deliberately run valve amps on low Voltage - and that came from an "accident" when he got a new Marshall which was set for UK mains, and plugged it into US mains. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Nick
Site Admin

#12 Re: EVH RIP

Post by Nick »

andrew Ivimey

#13 Re: EVH RIP

Post by andrew Ivimey »

WOW! Earthlings really do it for me sometimes! :bounce: