Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: For opera fans

Post by Dave the bass »

I've never really 'done' Opera. Not understanding what the big lady or fella are singing half the time put me off in the past but maybe I should give listening to it properly a try.

Where's a good beginners place to start?
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#3 Re: For opera fans

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Puccini's Turandot. The music is great and one of the last songs was press ganged into some stupid motor racing event. None shall sleep ( when these bloody cars howl and scream round a track) what's the point of that eh!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#4 Re: For opera fans

Post by jack »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:33 pm Puccini's Turandot. The music is great and one of the last songs was press ganged into some stupid motor racing event. None shall sleep ( when these bloody cars howl and scream round a track) what's the point of that eh!
I love the music in Turandot, but you have an heroine who is a bloodthirsty murderess who executes suitors, and a hero who ignores a slave girls who kills herself rather than reveal his name. Both the prince (tenor) and Turandot (soprano) are invariably played by extras from Supersize Me and can be far from empathetic.

Still love this opera though :)
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
andrew Ivimey

#5 Re: For opera fans

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Opera is what it is. How's that for another useless Tautology.

We are where we are

It is what it is

Bloody annoying. On the hole I dont like opera (marbling Sopranos and wooden acting, pointless stories .....

But the music,WOW
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: For opera fans

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:13 am
Bloody annoying. On the hole I dont like opera (marbling Sopranos and wooden acting, pointless stories .....

But the music,WOW
Me too, and the same for music related to religion.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#7 Re: For opera fans

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:41 am Me too, and the same for music related to religion.
I never saw you as a John Coltrain fan :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: For opera fans

Post by IslandPink »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:13 am...On the hole I dont like opera ...
You should come downstairs and listen to it properly in the living room !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey

#9 Re: For opera fans

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Oops that's a typo if ever.... 'old on..... I'm blaming the auto speel cheque.

Now I do love Maria Callas' voice for example but not only do I find opera incomprehensible because I can't hear what anyone is singing about I also find the stories a bit daft. I don't get the political or social critics and allusions that could have been dead witty to the composer's contemporaries but.... the music can be transcendentally wonderful. The Ring is astonishing, the story us just stupid ( imho) . The Bartered Bride is lovely, kinda weird but I still dont/ cant understand the words.
Paul Barker

#10 Re: For opera fans

Post by Paul Barker »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:09 pm Oops that's a typo if ever.... 'old on..... I'm blaming the auto speel cheque.

Now I do love Maria Callas' voice for example but not only do I find opera incomprehensible because I can't hear what anyone is singing about I also find the stories a bit daft. I don't get the political or social critics and allusions that could have been dead witty to the composer's contemporaries but.... the music can be transcendentally wonderful. The Ring is astonishing, the story us just stupid ( imho) . The Bartered Bride is lovely, kinda weird but I still dont/ cant understand the words.
Count yourself luckey I was taken to string quartets concert orchestras piano concertos as the page turner for my mother. I was only 10 tears old. When mum took me and Christine to Royal Festival Hall this event was built up before we went. So I sat patiently all through the first half nothing much seemed to happen. In the interval I said to Mum, “when are they going to start singing?”
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#11 Re: For opera fans

Post by simon »

IslandPink wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:33 pm
andrew Ivimey wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:13 am...On the hole I dont like opera ...
You should come downstairs and listen to it properly in the living room !
Top notch Mark! :lol:
andrew Ivimey

#12 Re: For opera fans

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Really Simon, really?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#13 Re: For opera fans

Post by simon »

Lost your sense of humour Andrew? (It's Marks saying...)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14 Re: For opera fans

Post by IslandPink »

Eeeeh, these bloody opera-lovers.
Ps. Nick said he quite enjoyed some opera when played via the Living Voice Vox Olympians .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"