D3a Triode Square Wave shows HF boost

If they glow, this is the place to be
RhythMick
Old Hand

#1 D3a Triode Square Wave shows HF boost

Post by RhythMick »

After spending way too much time and effort with work I finally got back to making progress on the phono. I'm starting with a real simple D3a Triode stage and want to get the output from that as clean as I can get it before I start experimenting with what comes after. I've set up the D3a as follows, all clip-leaded for now except the filaments which are wired.

Cathode biased with 110R, expecting 15mA OP so roughly 1.5V bias. Unbypassed.
G3 wired to Cathode.
G2 100R to Anode. Anode Load (various, see below) to B+. 100K Load resistor Anode to Ground.
G1 47K to Ground. 200R grid stopper.

PSU is transformer, SS Bridge Rectifier, LCLC delivering approx 250V clean unregulated DC.

1KHz square Wave input 100mV - grid (47k/200R junction) to Ground. Measuring the same on B probe (red).
A probe measuring across the 100K load resistor (Blue).

The square wave output shows a real HF boost. I need to get this right before I move on, but the setup is really straightforward and I'm struggling to understand what might be giving that HF boost ? I've tried changing the anode loads - picture below is with a simple 10K resistor load, but changing to choke load or choke + resistor makes no difference (choke load gain is much higher but the shape is the same). This is the first pentode I've worked with - is it possible I need a bigger grid stop, or bigger g2 resistor ?

Measurements (10K R Anode Load)
Ik = 14mA
Ia = 11mA
Ig2 = 3mA
Vak = 140V
Vg2k = 139V

All inputs welcomed
D3a Triode 10K R Load.PNG
D3a Triode 10K R Load.PNG (26.58 KiB) Viewed 8069 times
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: D3a Triode Square Wave shows HF boost

Post by Nick »

I would measure with a sine wave sweep to see if there is a HF boost that you need to worry about. Also, 100nv is 30dB more than it will normally see, do you see the same effect with 1mv input?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
RhythMick
Old Hand

#3 Re: D3a Triode Square Wave shows HF boost

Post by RhythMick »

Nick wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:10 pm I would measure with a sine wave sweep to see if there is a HF boost that you need to worry about. Also, 100nv is 30dB more than it will normally see, do you see the same effect with 1mv input?
Thanks Nick I'll report back tomorrow.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#4 Re: D3a Triode Square Wave shows HF boost

Post by izzy wizzy »

I thought a droop on the top of a square wave was LF rolloff not HF boost? I'm not seeing HF overshoot. Or am I missing something here?

Many use the d3a as input and driver in a power amp so that could see a 1V input. 10K anode load and 1.5V bias should be fine for HT around 300V

I'm not understanding why there is a 100k load for this test. What is the power supply capacitance feeding the stage?

My understanding is an unbypassed cathode resistor will degrade the performance of the stage by increasing Rp and reducing gm.

Edit: Done some homework on scope traces. I see the curve droop is indeed HF boost rather than straight droop being LF cut. My bad.
Nick
Site Admin

#5 Re: D3a Triode Square Wave shows HF boost

Post by Nick »

How is the scope input isolated from the anode voltage?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
RhythMick
Old Hand

#6 Re: D3a Triode Square Wave shows HF boost

Post by RhythMick »

izzy wizzy wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:46 am I thought a droop on the top of a square wave was LF rolloff not HF boost? I'm not seeing HF overshoot. Or am I missing something here?

Many use the d3a as input and driver in a power amp so that could see a 1V input. 10K anode load and 1.5V bias should be fine for HT around 300V

I'm not understanding why there is a 100k load for this test. What is the power supply capacitance feeding the stage?

My understanding is an unbypassed cathode resistor will degrade the performance of the stage by increasing Rp and reducing gm.

Edit: Done some homework on scope traces. I see the curve droop is indeed HF boost rather than straight droop being LF cut. My bad.
100K load arbitrarily chosen, representing the input load into the next stage (eg 100K grid resistor between next stage grid and ground). My understanding is there's little point measuring the unloaded output, so I loaded it as if the D3a was connected to the grid of the next valve.

My understanding is that an unbypassed cathode reduces the gain of the stage but reduces distortion as it's providing local negative feedback into the cathode.

PSU is is LCLC : 17H/200uF -> 17H/100uF
RhythMick
Old Hand

#7 Re: D3a Triode Square Wave shows HF boost

Post by RhythMick »

RhythMick wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:44 pm
Nick wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:10 pm I would measure with a sine wave sweep to see if there is a HF boost that you need to worry about. Also, 100nv is 30dB more than it will normally see, do you see the same effect with 1mv input?
Thanks Nick I'll report back tomorrow.
I've reconstructed the test build so I can get directly to the pins. Producing the same result with 100mV square input.

10mV input same shape but much noisier, likely limitations of the test equipment (picoscope - I have a nice Siglent shamefully sitting on the desk because I haven't familiarised myself with it - doh).
002.PNG
002.PNG (31.89 KiB) Viewed 8011 times
I set up a sine wave sweep from 10Hz to 20Khz at 10Hz steps ...
003.PNG
003.PNG (17.2 KiB) Viewed 8011 times
...and set the scope for FFT...
004.PNG
004.PNG (63.3 KiB) Viewed 8011 times
The peak moves with the sweep frequency. If I stop it sweeping, set it to 1KHz the FFT shows the peak at 1KHz.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#8 Re: D3a Triode Square Wave shows HF boost

Post by izzy wizzy »

RhythMick wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:41 am
100K load arbitrarily chosen, representing the input load into the next stage (eg 100K grid resistor between next stage grid and ground). My understanding is there's little point measuring the unloaded output, so I loaded it as if the D3a was connected to the grid of the next valve.

My understanding is that an unbypassed cathode reduces the gain of the stage but reduces distortion as it's providing local negative feedback into the cathode.

PSU is is LCLC : 17H/200uF -> 17H/100uF
Good call that there is a load. How is it coupled to the anode?

The EQ which will be dangled off the end of it should be a lot lower in Z than 100k. More like 20k; probably less at the higher frequencies. I'd probably try to pull more current at nearer 1V bias and 4k7 on the anode for a triode but all good for now.

The idea IMO is to provide a low Z drive to the EQ so no unbypassed resistors here. I think the idea should be to maximise the gain and the performance (gm) of the valve so some form of low Z in the cathode is required. Feedback at this point isn't needed, again IMHO.

I realise you're only testing which is more than I've ever done. I'm just urging to test a higher performance circuit. PSU looks fine.
RhythMick
Old Hand

#9 Re: D3a Triode Square Wave shows HF boost

Post by RhythMick »

Ok my previous post prompted me to hook up the Siglent.
PXL_20210724_105843192_compress15.jpg
PXL_20210724_105843192_compress15.jpg (249.51 KiB) Viewed 8010 times
Looks better. The square wave is still coming from the Picoscope.
Nick
Site Admin

#10 Re: D3a Triode Square Wave shows HF boost

Post by Nick »

Much better. The remaining slope is probably the ac input protection. Try at 10khz

For the frequency sweep I meant an amplitude against frequency plot. Not an fft.
RhythMick
Old Hand

#11 Re: D3a Triode Square Wave shows HF boost

Post by RhythMick »

Nick wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:44 pm Much better. The remaining slope is probably the ac input protection. Try at 10khz

For the frequency sweep I meant an amplitude against frequency plot. Not an fft.
Ok thanks Nick I'll try and figure out how to do that.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: D3a Triode Square Wave shows HF boost

Post by Mike H »

I was going to say, looks to me like a classic case of a series capacitor with not large enough value.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
RhythMick
Old Hand

#13 Re: D3a Triode Square Wave shows HF boost

Post by RhythMick »

Mike H wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:05 pm I was going to say, looks to me like a classic case of a series capacitor with not large enough value.
I think the Picoscope doesn't have probe calibration while the Siglent does.
Nick
Site Admin

#14 Re: D3a Triode Square Wave shows HF boost

Post by Nick »

I think Mike (and me) meant the DC blocking capacitor stopping DC from showing a horizontal line instead of calibrating for input capacitance.

If you used a 10kHz square, the flat top would not be so affected by the blocking cap.
RhythMick
Old Hand

#15 Re: D3a Triode Square Wave shows HF boost

Post by RhythMick »

Nick wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:14 pm I think Mike (and me) meant the DC blocking capacitor stopping DC from showing a horizontal line instead of calibrating for input capacitance.

If you used a 10kHz square, the flat top would not be so affected by the blocking cap.
Ok I see ... But there wasn't a blocking cap in the test circuit, either before or after the D3a.