WAD 300b hum and buzz

If they glow, this is the place to be
adrian
User

#1 WAD 300b hum and buzz

Post by adrian »

Hi all
I had my WAD 300b upside down the other day to check a few things and when I returned it to the system it had developed both louder transformer hum and a buzz coming through the right channel tweeter. I didn't make any changes, but moved some cables a little to get a view of cap and res values. Could that have had such an impact?

Best

Adrian
Jaguarxjr
New User

#2 Re: WAD 300b hum and buzz

Post by Jaguarxjr »

Hi Adrian,

The short answer is yes - it depends which cables and where you moved them.

If you can remember more or less try moving them around to where they were to see if it changes things.

Which WAD 300B is it. Cable routing for the 300B PSE ( as with most deigns of this type ) made quite a difference to hum pick up in my experience anyway.

Is it possible you disturbed a solder joint in moving things about?

Do be careful if you are not familiar with working on these amps - there are high voltages present - more than enough to kill you several times over.

Hope this helps some.

Kind rgds,

Ray
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: WAD 300b hum and buzz

Post by pre65 »

Hi Ray, how did you get on with the speakers ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: WAD 300b hum and buzz

Post by Nick »

adrian wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:17 pm Hi all
I had my WAD 300b upside down the other day to check a few things and when I returned it to the system it had developed both louder transformer hum and a buzz coming through the right channel tweeter. I didn't make any changes, but moved some cables a little to get a view of cap and res values. Could that have had such an impact?

Best

Adrian
First thing measure voltages and compare to what they should have been,. If you are getting more transformer hum, then that would point to something pulling more current.

What were the few things you were checking?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.