CV4003 / ECC82 types...

If they glow, this is the place to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1 CV4003 / ECC82 types...

Post by jack »

Anyone here have experience of different types of ECC82, specifically why are the mil boxed versions (CV4003) by Brimar and Mullard so much more expensive than the standard Philips ECC82s...? Internally, they're supposed to be identical...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
nic
User

#2 Re: CV4003 / ECC82 types...

Post by nic »

Mullard CV4003 have totally different construction with 'box plates' , copper grid posts and scalloped mica . Early Brimars had different contruction to ECC82 with short 14mm single anode support anodes . Later Brimar CV4003s , from memory , have the 17mm anodes and 1571 codes , which are the same codes as found on 13D5 and ECC82 so I suspect these may have been factory selected .

cheers

Nic
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: CV4003 / ECC82 types...

Post by Mike H »

Watford Valves says "special military long life version of ECC82"

I see what you mean about the prices bluddy hell :shock:

Couldn't find any Philips ones to compare only Mullard and Brimar

Must be supply & demand? The "supply" being while stocks last of course

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Phil Y
User

#4 Re: CV4003 / ECC82 types...

Post by Phil Y »

I'm currently using Sylvania JAN 6189 as the phase splitter in my power amp. They seem quite good, I have a pair of Mullard CV4003 in the drawer as I marginally prefer the sound of the 6189. They are a good bit cheaper than Mullards.

Phil.
Stuart Dean
User

#5 Re: CV4003 / ECC82 types...

Post by Stuart Dean »

I bought a few of these Mullard cv4003 about 10 years ago.
I had a friend who had contact with someone who used to buy MOD surplus by the container load from RAF Stafford.
This guy had bought a pallet load and my friend bought several 100 piece boxes for £100 a time.
My friend sold some on to me for £3 each, Iv'e not played about with audio for several years now and I've no idea how many I still have.
I remember I sent a pair to Paul Barker when he was collecting bits and bobs to send to Alex Kitek.
Am I being uncharitable when I say this guy accepted a load of freebies and then disappeared.
SD
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#6 Re: CV4003 / ECC82 types...

Post by jack »

Thanks for the replies guys - I had picked up a batch of these, ex-mod, from a retiring radio ham. They weren't a quid each (!) but only slightly more.

I cannot understand the price differential, however I have plans for them. When my workshop is back... :(
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: CV4003 / ECC82 types...

Post by Mike H »

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."