OH YES

If they glow, this is the place to be
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#1 OH YES

Post by mainscablesrus »

Looking at the insides of these amps HTF do they get £84,000 a pair for them?

They look like they were made in a shed.

Details below....

https://audio-philia.squarespace.com/pr ... -amplifier
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
JohnG
Old Hand

#2 Re: OH YES

Post by JohnG »

Audio Note have learnt from the best, Frank Knight Real Estate.
Why they can sell a broom cupboard in Mayfair for a few million.
Look at all that Audio Note Real Estate in that Amp.
Nick
Site Admin

#3 Re: OH YES

Post by Nick »

Whats wrong with made in a shed?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: OH YES

Post by Mike H »

Oops :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: OH YES

Post by IslandPink »

Taking the lid off like that will lose most of the expensive Audio Note air that's installed in the factory.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#6 Re: OH YES

Post by izzy wizzy »

It does have a lot of silver and nickel things in it. Plus unobtanium BGs. Ex demo only £55k.

But the thing that stands out to me is why does a single ended circuit only accept a balanced input? How does that make sense?

Cheers,
Stephen
rowuk
Old Hand

#7 Re: OH YES

Post by rowuk »

Maybe the problem is not the price, rather the units ability to fulfill expectations. Because we do not even have words to describe what a "superior" playback should have, pricey things like this are an easy target. Sometimes we pay more for the idea than the technology to build it. I think most members here are safe.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
RhythMick
Old Hand

#8 Re: OH YES

Post by RhythMick »

I have a box full of those Audio Note chokes. Really must get around to selling.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#9 Re: OH YES

Post by Paul Barker »

I heard s pair one afternoon as Peter’s guest listening to his excellent collection of vinyl. Top sound. Worth every penny if you have that sort of disposable income. Undoubtedly the materials and winding skills pay off.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: OH YES

Post by Mike H »

So, similar to making a winning formula 1 racing car, to get that extra 1% performance, you have to spend twice as much again as you did to get the previous extra 1%, and so on ad infinitum. :D

The insides probably also look like they were made in a shed. Albeit a big expensive one .. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: OH YES

Post by Dave the bass »

RhythMick wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:50 am I have a box full of those Audio Note chokes. Really must get around to selling.
I think the phrase you're looking for is..."I have a box full of those Audio Note chokes. Really must get around to giving them all away at Owston to DTB", I know it was on the tip of your tongue, just tryng to help an' all that.

Arf!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
RhythMick
Old Hand

#12 Re: OH YES

Post by RhythMick »

Dave the bass wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:09 pm
RhythMick wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:50 am I have a box full of those Audio Note chokes. Really must get around to selling.
I think the phrase you're looking for is..."I have a box full of those Audio Note chokes. Really must get around to giving them all away at Owston to DTB", I know it was on the tip of your tongue, just tryng to help an' all that.

Arf!
Lol
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#13 Re: OH YES

Post by Paul Barker »

Mike H wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 5:58 pm So, similar to making a winning formula 1 racing car, to get that extra 1% performance, you have to spend twice as much again as you did to get the previous extra 1%, and so on ad infinitum. :D

The insides probably also look like they were made in a shed. Albeit a big expensive one .. :D
I know what you mean, but actually the sound of nickel core material is dramatic no way is it s 1% improvement.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#14 Re: OH YES

Post by Nick »

I know what you mean, but actually the sound of nickel core material is dramatic no way is it s 1% improvement.
Though I am not convinced its that good a choice for single ended as its got a hard knee when it saturates. And on its own is certainly not a panacea, I quote the two different nickel core PP transformers I tried in my DAC, the one you expect to be better wasn't. Not just me, Mark made the same comparison.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: OH YES

Post by IslandPink »

There's actually one or two tests of Bud's small transformers on Gary Pimm's site, and you can see the roll-off above 10kHz which would be associated with a phase rotation, not surprising they lacked air and treble tone. That must be winding/materials shortcomings.

I had a proper look at the Kegon blurb and it's PSE with 50% nickel outputs. You're never going to get 80% nickel in a size suitable even for 1x 300B so that's no surprise. However you don't get the big gains ( apparently ) with 50% , only 80% . I had Dave wind me some 50% N autoformers for the horns, and I didn't rate them that high - planar resistor Lpad turned out to be better.
But anyway there is some nice stuff in there, don't get me wrong, the output Tx would be very interesting, there's silver foil capacitors , BG's etc etc.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"