The Humble EL34

If they glow, this is the place to be
Alex Kitic
Old Hand

#31 Re: The Humble EL34

Post by Alex Kitic »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:36 pm The biasing resistor on the lm317 will need to change depending on choice of valve ... and there's a quite a range between ecc83 etc, so let's assume that this is just a potential circuit with quite a lot of maths to do depending on the valves used. I think the PSU is quite ugly too but that depends on the secondary windings for the HT. I'd much rather use full wave GZ34 than mess with whatever is being used on the schematic.

Still there you go!
On the contrary, if built exactly per schematics and specification, the only thing to change in order to be able to use all the output tubes listed is the rectifier tube type!

5R4 for EL34 and other 25W anode dissipation tubes, 5U4 for 30W anode dissipation tubes, and GZ34 for 35W anode dissipation tubes.

The power supply will yield almost 40V more with a GZ34 than with most 5R4, because the current is set at the same value for any output tube used.

As usual with my designs, there's more to it than meets the eye. If interested, please read the series of articles on the RH Universal amps.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#32 Re: The Humble EL34

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I hope the previous poster has read your articles Alex.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
acorn
User

#33 Re: The Humble EL34

Post by acorn »

I use .01uf or .22 poly or film capacitor at 600vdc and above between pin 1 and pin 8 of the cathode for a sweeter sound, the Tungsol EL34Bs are really good valves sound a bit like 6L6s if that helps.

Acorn
rowuk
Old Hand

#34 Re: The Humble EL34

Post by rowuk »

My low frequency single ended pentode is doing a GREAT job. I do not use tube rectification in the PS however. I really like what the RH amplifiers do with the best diodes. The cheapest magic that I know of is the RH84 and that just much bigger is the RH Universal with EL34 (which I like much better than KT66 or 88, 6550). Everything else is exactly as Alex designed.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.