Rose RV-23 preamp valves. $xECC82, or 2xECC82 + 2xECC83?

If they glow, this is the place to be
adrian
User

#1 Rose RV-23 preamp valves. $xECC82, or 2xECC82 + 2xECC83?

Post by adrian »

Hi all

long time no post. Hello again!

there's a little confusion on the web and I would like to know which new valves to buy to spruce up the 2nd hand Rose I recently bought. It has 4 x ECC82, but I have read that the phono section should be ECC83. Meanwhile I have a 2nd Rose with 4 x ECC81 (which seems to be ok but for a slight rustle on one channel (albeit that in the same channel one of the valve flares mightily on turn-on).

Any comments gratefully received

Best

Adrian
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Rose RV-23 preamp valves. $xECC82, or 2xECC82 + 2xECC83?

Post by pre65 »

Best of luck with the search, there is very little on the interweb.

I lusted after one of these many years ago.

Check for cracked PCB, seems something on the board fouls the lid.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#3 Re: Rose RV-23 preamp valves. $xECC82, or 2xECC82 + 2xECC83?

Post by Greg »

Hello Adrian. The flaring valve is quite normal on certain types by certain manufacturers. A pair did this on my first build, a WD KaT88. Very alarming at the time of first switch on :roll:
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Rose RV-23 preamp valves. $xECC82, or 2xECC82 + 2xECC83?

Post by Mike H »

ECC81, ECC82 and ECC83 are each quite different designs with different characteristics, biasing, max. ratings etc., DO NOT swap one type for another.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
adrian
User

#5 Re: Rose RV-23 preamp valves. $xECC82, or 2xECC82 + 2xECC83?

Post by adrian »

Phil, Greg and Mike

thanks for the replies. Phil, yes, Gerry mentioned the same thing a while ago on some forum or other. The problem of the cover pressing on the heat-sink does not affect my amp happily.
Greg, the flaring is odd as it affects all valves in one of the 4 bases, but not any of the others. All valves flare in that one position when I swap them around, suggesting a circuit problem. Further investigation required.
<ike, oddly, all the ECC81/82/83s seem to play ok in this circuit, and I can't hear differences between them. It doesn't make much sense, but there you go. Meanwhile, I will stick with 82s in line circuit and get 83s for the phono

Adrian
Gerry
User

#6 Re: Rose RV-23 preamp valves. $xECC82, or 2xECC82 + 2xECC83?

Post by Gerry »

Long time Adrian..... But
Is it a RV23SE or a plain RV23? The RV23SE has a separate PSU (transformer) . If so 4x ecc81, if not it is the the mix. Sean messed around a bit with valves in various models. I have some paperwork/old emails from him.
Regards
Gerry