Questions instead of answers

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
rowuk
Old Hand

#1 Questions instead of answers

Post by rowuk »

I have some new big 66cm tractrix horns and have been having a great time listening and experimenting. They have nice non-honky response down to around 300Hz with a Faital HF146.
They are about 60 cm deep, so I am thinking about lower midrange upper bass solutions that would put the woofer back a ways for real physical time alignment.
Bert Doppenbergs Orelo is one solution, but I have zero "critical" experience with open back (except infinite baffles). http://www.bd-design.nl/forum/index.php ... d&id=17407
Another possibility would be something like the Haigner Alphahorn. https://www.haigner.com/wp-content/uplo ... /alpha.pdf
An Altec A7 would work, but is too big. Marc Henrys Kornhent is a beautiful solution but is 1 meter deep - that won't fit in my listening space.

Do any of you have any ideas? I would like to keep them "close" to the wall.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#2 Re: Questions instead of answers

Post by vinylnvalves »

I a few years ago tried Berts idea ( not new Altec did it in the 50’s). The bass wave guides give some directionality and more importantly gain for the front over the back. I ended up adding some resistive damping at the rear too. Wasn’t too bad good midbass - no bottom end though. I was using 2x 15” eminence drivers per channel, better than OB. I have changed to closed boxes with the supravox drivers 15” drivers not much better bass until I changed to the Anaview AMS1000 amps - now have lots of bass definition. I do wonder if my lack of bass with Berts idea was the amps not the design. I would use 3 Beyma 12BR100 drivers per channel, if I did it again. I think the 12” will give more gain as the throat is smaller for a given horn. As a friend had 4 of these per channel in IB’s - Great bottom end.