Defunct HD3Ps - May need new loudspeakers

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
Brian
User

#1 Defunct HD3Ps - May need new loudspeakers

Post by Brian »

The HD3Ps in my KLS3's are finally wrinkling and showing signs of failure.

I have a pair of Audax TW025A0 treble units, which I read somewhere ages ago are a drop-in replacement (electrically, not physically) for the original treble unit used in the KLS3 MKI, so trying this is going to be my first option.

If this fails to work properly, meaning my enjoyable years with the KLS3's (best speakers I've ever had) are over, I'm open to suggestions for replacement loudspeakers.

Rest of system now is:
Lavry DA10 DAC fed by Squeezebox 3 and Rotel 965BX LE Discrete
Django TVC
Ella KT6550 PP valve amp

I've been really happy with the sound of this into the KLS3's.
Andrew
Eternally single

Post by Andrew »

I believe these can be replaced as you suggest and the cross over tweaked, wasn't there an article in World Audio on this?

Failing that I would suggest a visit to Colin's, there's now some cracking speaker designs in the public domain or available for a small shareware fee, folks on here are raving about the FH3.

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB2/view ... &start=133

All you need is someone to build them for you.

Andrew
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

There's a thread on the WD site about swapping the tweeters out for Seas Millenium http://www.world-designs.co.uk/forum/sh ... light=HD3P
Chris :happy3:
Toppsy
Shed dweller

Post by Toppsy »

Brian,

If you don't get your KLS3 sorted to sound as the originals your most welcome to come over for a listen of some FR speakers that might just change your perception of multiway speakers with a valve amp and just how good a FR with valve amp can sound.

I can offer you a bespoke build of any speaker that plans are avilable for should you be interested. Check out some by builds on this forum.

NOTE TO NickG
Hope my mentioning of bespoke speaker builds by me does not flout the forum rules. If so please remove this post.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

NOTE TO NickG
Hope my mentioning of bespoke speaker builds by me does not flout the forum rules. If so please remove this post.
Why, do we have a set of rules somewhere that I didn't know about?

:-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
spresto9
User

#6 Dead HD3Ps

Post by spresto9 »

Hi Brian,
Sorry to hear that your tweeters are failing they are a fantastic driver.
My pair went west some years ago, last year I thought I may try to build a rig and try to re-gas them, unfortunately I was too clumsy and ripped the diaphragm on the first driver :oops: , I have been keeping an eye out for another pair of dead drivers since. If you decide to replace the tweeters, would you care to sell me your old wrinkly ones? :wink:
Good luck
Spresto9