Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Michael L
Old Hand

#16 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by Michael L »

vinylnvalves wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:30 pm Stop putting negative vibes on silver.... I have a mechanical telephone exchange in the mother-in-laws barn full of plessey type 72 switches I plan to strip and sell on ... when times get even leaner in the aerospace industry :(
Would that be a PABX or UAX? I spent some time as an apprentice in Strowger exchanges. I remember feeling rather nervous around the batteries in the large exchange in Birmingham called Central. Quite a noisy place too. Later, I spent time upstairs in Birmingham A repeater station. I don't what valves were in the repeater amplifiers they were decommissioning but there were a great number of units. It had the longest RDF (repeater distribution frame) in Europe apparently. Ah the memories:)
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#17 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by vinylnvalves »

I don’t know anything about exchanges... it’s just something my late father-in-law acquired about 30 years ago, it’s the size of an upright fridge-freezer. It was threatened to be given to the scrap man, I said no I want it, there is a lot of wiring to remove to get to switches... I think it was an internal office exchange - which came out of an office block when refurbished.
shane
Social outcast

#18 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by shane »

I used Satcure Litz wire to rewire my 774 which is dirt cheap and worked a treat, but I’m not sure if he’s still trading:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page18.htm#litz

I also replaced the red plug with a five pin version to allow me to wire it balanced to my SUT. This was available as a kit on eBay but again I haven’t seen it on there for a while. It’s all proprietary bits though so it wouldn’t be hard to replicate:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?sxsrf=A ... 67P-LVWK7M
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#19 Re: Internal Tonearm wire recommendations

Post by vinylnvalves »

Thanks for the link... it looks as if he’s still trading. Regarding the connector. I am a big fan of not having unnecessary connectors in the signal path so will be running the wires back to the phono amp. I have already got/made a red connector block - well really a grommet on a 3D printer. Whether I join/ solder some screened cable to the internal wires or just run the fine wire back to the xlr plugs I haven’t decided. One of my bugbears where I think we have gone backwards is not being able to get small phono amps which fit under the plinth, as everyone wants a flashy box on show, it did keep the wiring run short. My cranfield rock even has a space for one, think Max marketed a Lentek battery powered one under this own brand. I suppose back in the 80’s the choice of phono stages was limited. I did used to put the SUT under there, when I use to use them.