Magnetic antiskate

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#1 Magnetic antiskate

Post by vinylnvalves »

It’s about 30 years since I last built a tonearm. So I have been searching the web for inspiration and came across this https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogu ... tions.html. Has anyone played with anything like this, I had a Decca unipivot decades ago - which I dismantled to understand it better. As the Morsiani arm is meant to be up there with the best.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Magnetic antiskate

Post by IslandPink »

I haven't but that's a great thread with Morsiani actually there in person.
I know James D put the Morsiani tonearm at the top of the tree.
I'll have a bit more of a read later.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#3 Re: Magnetic antiskate

Post by vinylnvalves »

I understand the principle... what I cannot fathom is what the structure ( looks flimsy) which goes over the tonearm is for, i thought at first it housed the magnets but clearly not, see http://www.morsiani.it/
ed
retired

#4 Re: Magnetic antiskate

Post by ed »

this intrigued me years ago, albeit after I'd given up vinyl......

but I always thought the second pair of magnets were in the top of the cup, and as the arm progressed towards the centre the effect of the magnets diminished.........

but I never got the real answer
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Magnetic antiskate

Post by IslandPink »

I see what you mean. Having the website still available is very decent of him - but it could do with a couple more pictures. I shall however save the pages and the diagrams he put in that thread, for future reference.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#6 Re: Magnetic antiskate

Post by vinylnvalves »

Those two columns up either side of the arm, have different capping pieces on on various guises of his arms, some are plastic some aluminium. I wonder it to align arm, or a transport thing - don’t think it’s anything to do with the antiskate or the normal function of the arm. I am trying to figure how to include this antiskate approach into what from an engineering perspective I think is the best unipivot design.... that I can hopefully clone... the audiomecana Septum. https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/belladonna3_e.html.
I already have an aluminium billet ready to machine the arm from, just need to get the 4th axis working on the cnc router.
Ant
Shed dweller

#7 Re: Magnetic antiskate

Post by Ant »

Never heard of the septum arm, just had a look at it.
I do like the azimuth arrangement, very simple
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#8 Re: Magnetic antiskate

Post by vinylnvalves »

Whilst investigating magnetic anti-skate, I came across this. Interesting bearing arrangement. Easy to replicate, the duo pivots seem to have all the advantages of a unipivot without the disadvantages. Something to consider if I decide to build a new arm.

Torn between something simple like this and the Dynavector arms... the engineer in me likes the later...