Mayware formula 4

Love it or hate it, it just won't stop
Ant
Shed dweller

#1 Mayware formula 4

Post by Ant »

Anyone else who has an f4?
If so, can someone measure the length of the arm from the front of the bearing housing to the front point of the headshell, and the distance between the front of the bit of the headshell where the arm tube pokes through it and the front of the tube please

When this one was rebuilt it was lengthened out to be 235mm long so it fit in a rega mounting, but I want to put it back to the standard length so I can compare it with the next revision of the cx arm I was building.
The plan is also to get some delrin sheet and mill out a new version of the plastic part that holds the arm clip and lift lower device as it has cracked around the setscrews so likes to slip downwards, and to find a source for the rubber counterweight bush.
Just needs some fettling so it is directly comparable with the cx arm

Thanks ant
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Mayware formula 4

Post by IslandPink »

I will do it, but I'm just a bit confused about the terminology -
Ant wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:38 am ... the length of the arm from the front of the bearing housing to the front point of the headshell, and the distance between the front of the bit of the headshell where the arm tube pokes through it and the front of the tube please
'Front of the bearing housing' I'm OK with.
By 'front point of the headshell', you mean the bit in the centre ( the left corner, is further out actually ) .
In that case I measure 217mm
The last bit could be answered as 'flush' or 5mm , depending on what the 'front bit of the headshell where the arm pokes through' means.
Do you want me to measure the headshell from its far point to the back of the clampy bit on the armwand ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ant
Shed dweller

#3 Re: Mayware formula 4

Post by Ant »

Yep the pointy bit in the centre of the front of the headshell, the other measurement is how much of the arm tube is sticking out forward of the hole in the headshell that it is attached through
I had about 5mm in mind for that measurement thinking back to the first one I had
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Mayware formula 4

Post by IslandPink »

Ah yes, OK. Well the amount of the wand sticking out of the 'crook' or angle inside the headshell is less than 1mm in my case. I think the one you had might have been set up wrong - I don't see there's any benefit in having the headshell further back along the wand - makes the arm length shorter and interferes with fitting the cartridge tags to the pins.
MikeyB456
New User

#5 Re: Mayware formula 4

Post by MikeyB456 »

Hi, I'm new around here, but thought I'd chip in. I have a Formula 4 that I acquired recently, mounted on a Systemdek III.
Mine measures a smidge more than 217 - somewhere between 217 and 218, I reckon. And I too have <= 1mm of arm wand poking into the headshell, although it's only like that because I set it there myself. I took the headshell off to get at the sliding weight which needed its furry lining floofing up so it didn't slide around. In my haste I didn't think to take note of where it was originally.
DSJR
User

#6 Re: Mayware formula 4

Post by DSJR »

Memories -

The Formula 4 headshell can be slid back and forth on the tube can't it - or am I confusing with the (you've been) Hadcock?

The Rega arm effective length is around half an inch longer than an SME/Linn I seem to remember and Mayware/SME mounting plate used to have the arm plumb in the middle of the SME 'slot' I think (Lord I hope I'm right after the NEAT scenario where these Jap arms were around half an inch longer than the Rega type.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Mayware formula 4

Post by IslandPink »

MikeyB456 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:51 pm ... to get at the sliding weight which needed its furry lining floofing up so it didn't slide around..
This is perfectly described- 'floofing' is just the right word.
MikeyB456
New User

#8 Re: Mayware formula 4

Post by MikeyB456 »

Ant wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 11:38 am When this one was rebuilt it was lengthened out to be 235mm long so it fit in a rega mounting,
Mine came from a Rega Planar 2, but seems to have been just plonked in the hole without the length being modded. When I got it, the cartridge was skewed round literally about 15 degs to try and get it aligned!