Tone Woods

Anything to do with the things that make the music we listen to.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#1 Tone Woods

Post by The Stratmangler »

For what seems to be forever, there has been a disagreement about the use of Tone Woods for electric instruments.
The nays argue that all that matters is pickups and connected components.
The yeahs argue that an instrument is a system, and the materials make a difference.
This experiment tries to get to the heart of the problem.

Chris :happy3:
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Tone Woods

Post by Nick »

Seems like a pointless argument, if the design is such that the wood matters the wood matters, if not it doesn’t.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Tone Woods

Post by IslandPink »

Very silly video !
So Nick, how do we know if the design is such that the wood matters, or doesn't matter ?
Seems to me the wood will matter on any guitar, to some extent - given what we find with turntables.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: Tone Woods

Post by Nick »

So Nick, how do we know if the design is such that the wood matters, or doesn't matter ?
We don't, so are still no closer to some absolutist ideal.

As you say, the key is "to some extent", its just how big that extent is.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#5 Re: Tone Woods

Post by jack »

Although I cannot play a note, just to say I've spent fantasticly interesting and informative time on visits to Timberline in Tonbridge. Be going there for many years.

It's another world - never knew so many beautiful woods existed or how specific some of their properties were.

The place mainly caters to luthiers, but I love a bit of exotic wood for my nixie clocks & other stuff... off-cuts (not that they call them "off-cuts" or that they are cheaper per unit than the bigger stuff) are normally all I need for a clock base or similar, and it's nice to have something a bit more unusual...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt