Jetsons style Marshall stack!

Anything to do with the things that make the music we listen to.
Irene Idler
User

#1 Jetsons style Marshall stack!

Post by Irene Idler »

This came across my Facebook feed today... suddenly I'm wondering if the amp kit I'm building would work in an enclosure like this!

"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman
SimonC
Old Hand

#2 Re: Jetsons style Marshall stack!

Post by SimonC »

Yes, just Yes!!

The head unit won't care what shape box its in, the speaker cab will need to be about the same volume as its 'conventional' cousin, but beyond that the shape of the cabinet makes no practical difference.

Cabinets tend to be rectangular as thats the easiest/cheapest shape to make on conventional woodworking machinery. As you are not bound by convention then go for it :)
Nick
Site Admin

#3 Re: Jetsons style Marshall stack!

Post by Nick »

Its needs a flat enough surface to put your beer on.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Jetsons style Marshall stack!

Post by pre65 »

Go for it (or something similar) Irene.

Looks good to me. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Irene Idler
User

#5 Re: Jetsons style Marshall stack!

Post by Irene Idler »

Nick wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:41 pm Its needs a flat enough surface to put your beer on.
Thank you for identifying the most important issue! I had not thought of that.

Phil (it's Phil, right?), every time I see your signature I think of something someone else once said to me:

"People's minds are like porch lights -- you open them up and there are all these dead bugs inside." -- G.T. Samson

ETA: An audio engineer friend just asked me a very good question about the other design I'd been considering, and I didn't have an answer for him. Perhaps one of our speaker gurus might like to weigh in? I forget if I've already posted the pic in this thread, but here's what I was kind of thinking:

My friend asked, "Will those decorative panel cutouts load the speaker in a funny way?"

So... will they? The planned driver is a Celestion Vintage 10 or 12, probably the former.

Though the more I think about it, the more I'm considering the Jetsons design or something similar -- I *had* initially wanted to do something along the lines of a tiny stack so that I could show off the electronics more easily. It'd need to be a little bigger so the chassis would fit in the head -- that could leave me with space for a 12" driver... the imagination runs wild.
"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman
Mudshark
Old Hand

#6 Re: Jetsons style Marshall stack!

Post by Mudshark »

Shona keeps telling me, a tiny stack's no sub for a 12" driver..:shock:

She is of course talking shit, as my Royd Eden's prove..... :wink:
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Jetsons style Marshall stack!

Post by Cressy Snr »

Irene Idler wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:18 pm
Though the more I think about it, the more I'm considering the Jetsons design or something similar -- I *had* initially wanted to do something along the lines of a tiny stack so that I could show off the electronics more easily. It'd need to be a little bigger so the chassis would fit in the head -- that could leave me with space for a 12" driver... the imagination runs wild.
You can't beat the 'fifties look Meredith, not in my book anyway. I just love that spindly quirkiness of the atomic age designs.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#8 Re: Jetsons style Marshall stack!

Post by The Stratmangler »

Irene Idler wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:18 pm My friend asked, "Will those decorative panel cutouts load the speaker in a funny way?"

So... will they? The planned driver is a Celestion Vintage 10 or 12, probably the former
Those panel cutouts might load the speaker in a funny way.
The only way to find out for certain is to try it overlaid on a plain baffle - I'm thinking of a thin plywood panel you could easily add or remove.

Are you thinking of gigging with it?
As well as the beer platform issue, the Jetsons style amp would be a pain to load in and out of vehicles, and take up far more space than a regular shaped amp would.
If gigging is not on the cards, go for it :)

As an aside, I switched out the speaker in my Blackstar HT-1R for a Celestion Eight 15 http://celestion.com/product/8/Eight_15/ and it brought dynamics and tone and character that the stock speaker failed to do.
Some of the recent Fender amps have had Celestions fitted, and they sound rather good too.
Chris :happy3:
Irene Idler
User

#9 Re: Jetsons style Marshall stack!

Post by Irene Idler »

The Stratmangler wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:00 pm
Irene Idler wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:18 pm My friend asked, "Will those decorative panel cutouts load the speaker in a funny way?"

So... will they? The planned driver is a Celestion Vintage 10 or 12, probably the former
Those panel cutouts might load the speaker in a funny way.
The only way to find out for certain is to try it overlaid on a plain baffle - I'm thinking of a thin plywood panel you could easily add or remove.
Yeah, could be an easy thing to try and see.
Are you thinking of gigging with it?
As well as the beer platform issue, the Jetsons style amp would be a pain to load in and out of vehicles, and take up far more space than a regular shaped amp would.
If gigging is not on the cards, go for it :)
I honestly have no idea at the moment. I stopped years ago because I couldn't stand the attention offstage. (Onstage there's a buffer zone so it's no problem; offstage everybody wants to talk to you at once and they all want you to write music for their poem or start a band with you or tell you how they feel you're the only one in the world who really understands them... or at least that's what happens when you're a female solo singer/songwriter.) Either way, I don't mind a little inconvenience in the face of absolute coolness. But I need to think about it, and that's definitely a factor to take into consideration.

As an aside, I switched out the speaker in my Blackstar HT-1R for a Celestion Eight 15 http://celestion.com/product/8/Eight_15/ and it brought dynamics and tone and character that the stock speaker failed to do.
Some of the recent Fender amps have had Celestions fitted, and they sound rather good too.
I've loved Celestions since they were putting them in Carvin amps back in the early 80s, especially the Vintage series. I'd need serious convincing to go with any other maker for a guitar amp.
Irene Idler
User

#10 Re: Jetsons style Marshall stack!

Post by Irene Idler »

Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:33 pm You can't beat the 'fifties look Meredith, not in my book anyway. I just love that spindly quirkiness of the atomic age designs.
I know, right? I have a friend back in the US who has basically transported herself back to that time period. Everything she owns is either vintage, or a good reproduction. She makes all her own clothes based on original 1950s patterns. Her dining set, her sofa, the art on her walls, her car -- I mean *everything*. She's a graphic artist so she can get away with that sort of thing. Just ridiculously cool.

There's a painting of hers I've wanted to buy for decades but she won't sell it. It's a portrait of old, scary Joan Crawford standing at a railing with both hands resting on it, looking stern. A good likeness and all... but in the background, if you're looking, you realise that the wallpaper has an intricate pattern of interlocking wire coat hangers. Fucking GENIUS.