stratocaster SRV build

Anything to do with the things that make the music we listen to.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

Post by The Stratmangler »

That's a lovely looking neck for sure.
However, seeing as how the beautiful figuring is down to faults in the wood, I can't help but feel that it negatively effects resonance.

My first choice would be the quartersawn neck.
Chris :happy3:
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

there's been a bit of progress
the trems been fitted,

and the neck's arrived

one interesting thing, I wasn't charged VAT, does this mean guitar parts are exempt?
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

now the loaded pickguard has arrived this morning, it's all coming together

I can't recommend these people enough, they were very helpful and really creative with the paperwork,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170793630358? ... 1423.l2648

I've had to order a neck straight edge to set the neck up, there's all sorts of things you need that you just don't think about,

sadly Fender won't let me have a SRV engraved pickguard, they want a serial number unfortunately that is on the neck and not the body, I am going to send them a begging letter to see if I can make them feel guilty,
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

That's looking good David.
Now if I recollect correctly Fender originally supplied the guitar with two scratchplates (I don't think they do any longer), one like the one on yours and one with the SRV engraving.
And I prefer the plain one myself.
Stevie Ray himself preferred letters that had fallen off trucks :shock:
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

I think you're right and the plain one is my choice, I am happy with it but I would like the option of the SRV just in case I ever sell it,

there were people selling copies but Fender put an end to it, maybe that's why Fender changed the style of the engraving to an outline,
David

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ummmm, I'm probably missing something here but are you left handed David?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

andrew Ivimey wrote:Ummmm, I'm probably missing something here but are you left handed David?
no, I play RH but SRV had a LH tremolo because Jimi Hendrix played a
RH strat LH which put the tremolo arm on the top, the story is that SRV wanted to emulate JH
it's one of the quirks of owning a SRV stratocaster

it's one Fender's Artist series
David

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by andrew Ivimey »

only human beings could think up such a thing!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

on the basis that you take one step forward and six back,
the 8 hole pickguard they supplied is the wrong one, how did I know that Fender make 2, the earlier 57 spec has the bottom hole about 2 inches further right in line with the middle p/u, apparently the one I have is a transition one which has the hole spacing the same as the 11 hole variety

so another one is on order from the States, more delay

also try ordering a lefthand tremolo cover with a slot like the latest strats, Fender make them but nobody stocks them why did SRV have to have a LH trem, :?
David

The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

david C wrote:also try ordering a lefthand tremolo cover with a slot like the latest strats, Fender make them but nobody stocks them why did SRV have to have a LH trem, :?
SRV didn't have a cover for the trem stuff on his own guitar - it's not a problem so long as you don't play the guitar nekkid and low slung :shock:

The Eric Johnson model doesn't come with a trem cover, as EJ prefers the sound of his strats without the cover.

That's a bummer about the screw placement.
Last edited by The Stratmangler on Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

I think most people got rid of them,
the early ones were a nightmare to change strings through those fiddly holes, particularly on a dark stage,

something less to rattle as well
David

david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

found this guy on ebay looks like a good source of cold rolled steel tremolo blocks

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Steel-tremolo ... 231e4f244f

ps I've now ordered one of these, it's got to be made specially because it's left hand what's nice is there's no extra charge for this,
David

david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

small start this afternoon
some bits turned up so I fitted the tuners, I think I managed to get them in line

David

david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

everybody keep your fingers crossed I think I've got myself a pucker SRV pickguard :D

ps winging it's way from the States as we speak
David

david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

just got my cold rolled tremolo block from Kevin on ebay,
it looks very nicely machined it doesn't feel any heavier than the standard one but I don't spose that's a criteria I think it's all about pureness of the steel

David