stratocaster SRV build

Anything to do with the things that make the music we listen to.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

Dave the bass wrote:Shoddy!

:-)

DTB
exactly but I tried :D

never again, getting the right bits was a nightmare, you have to find a very friendly Fender parts dealer
David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

just a photo of the Callaham tremolo
really pleased with it,
well made compared to the Fender ones I've got, even the intonation is set out roughly and the saddle heights the same, just a sign of attention to detail

David

Wasps are the Katie Price of the Animal Kingdom - utterly pointless and bloody irritating!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

david C wrote: Image
Is the fob-watch to help keep the player in-time during tricky solo's? :-)

DTB
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

wish it was :)
anyway it's a bit sick at the moment, got to to the doctors for a strip down :?

don't ever get involved with old watches they're brain damage to keep running
David

david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

just a quick digression, my favourite watch a 1833 verge escapement fusee made by a guy in rural Sussex

David

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

My Dad would've liked chatting with you MrC. He was into watches and clock movements before my little Sis and I came along, I think he gave it all up in the mid 60's. I remember finding little boxes of bits in the shed when I was a kid.

DTB
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Dave the bass wrote:I remember finding little boxes of bits in the shed when I was a kid.

DTB
That's probably why he gave up.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

I just love the thought of what these watches have been through, were they used in the Boar War, WW1 or were they put in a gentleman's desk draw and forgotton, what ever it's survived 180 odd years still works and keeps good time
David

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

shane wrote:
Dave the bass wrote:I remember finding little boxes of bits in the shed when I was a kid.

DTB
That's probably why he gave up.
Yeah but no but, he didn't have a shed before I was born! We were living a in a 2nd floor Council Flat, it was only when Sis-the-Bass came along in '69 or so we moved to a house with a shed.

So I'm blaming my Sis... :-)

DTB
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

Dad the bass sounds a man of taste and distinction
David

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Dave the bass »

david C wrote:Dad the bass sounds a man of taste and distinction
He was. In the past tense sadly, aye, he was also very funny and let me play with power tools from an early age and encouraged the 'making of stuff' :)

DTB
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

My dad did watch and clock repairing "on the side" as well, had tons of tools and stuff. According to me mum he got into it while in the army for WW2, 'cause of not being able to find anyone else to do repairs or cleaning so had to DIY.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

I have acquired a few tools and I play around doing simple things like changing hands and removing the movement, despite watching all the yotube vids about it I'm still freaked by stripping it right down, what I need is breaker to experiment on
David

Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

Anyhow, whats it sound and play like? we need some sounds.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
david C
Old Hand

Post by david C »

not too sure how I can do it,
I've got miniature USB tape recorder I'll try to record onto it and produce a.wav file,

it was a bit of fun setting it up, I was trying to allow for the compound radius but I was over complicating it, it actually plays beautifully with 10s on it, these Warmoth necks are teriffic and well worth the money, there is a rumour that Fender's custom shop have used them

the Texas specials give a good SRV Hendrix sound, but I can also do Chicago blues on them

at the moment I using a little Peavey amp but what I would really like is a
Fender deluxe reverb or a AC15, Philip Ramsay is looking out for something along those lines, valves would make a big difference,
David