MQA

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Greg
Social outcast

#1 MQA

Post by Greg »

As someone who streams music a lot of the time, I found, within the limits of my comprehension, this video very interesting. If it is true, I suspect it confirms what some here have thought about MQA for a while. I used to subscribe to tidal, but when they adopted MQA for a lot of their library, I moved to Qobuz because I just could not get on with MQA sound.

The video is 38 minutes long but well worth a watch IMO.

Thoughts?

Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: MQA

Post by Nick »

Yep, I saw that posted yesterday and it was very interesting. It may be playing into my bias, but I have yet to hear any reason why MQA would be a good thing that didn't sound like hype and justification for adding costs. It would be better if MQA could show how what he found was wrong instead of just saying it was.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
rowuk
Old Hand

#3 Re: MQA

Post by rowuk »

I spent some time with Tidal, bit the sound quality was generally not as good as the Linn programming or similar offerings from Concertzender or NRK.
Being an active musician myself, I will normally buy the recordings that I like and do not worry about how someone decoded "compressed" formats.

I certainly agree that if Tidal is going to prevent measurements, they have something to hide. My personal preference is to play the recordings back at the original resolution. Red book recordings can be very convincing if properly played back.
Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.
Neal
Shed dweller

#4 Re: MQA

Post by Neal »

There’s a long tedious thread over on PFM and an even longer one over on Audio Science Review if you wish to ‘learn’ more, his testing may have not been valid but then that wasn’t helped by MQA restricting access to MQA master files...
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#5 Re: MQA

Post by Paul Barker »

every single one of those 3 letter nouns went over my head as fast as a lightning scrambled from Leconfield to ward off 130 Russian aircraft checking our air defences in the cold war.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Neal
Shed dweller

#6 Re: MQA

Post by Neal »

Only the Sith deal in absolutes.