Vortexbox Blues

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

For a couple of years the trusty virtexbox has not been pulling the album picture out of the ether when ripping a new CD. Irritating but easy to find and manually correct.

But now, damn & DRAT! when ripping I no longer get the album or track names, just the bald plain 'Unknown Album ' for a name and Track no1, Track no.2 and so on in the folder.

What should I do? Has this ever happened to any of you out there?.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#2 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by vinylnvalves »

I have had this happen with the last two albums I uploaded, I assumed maybe wrongly the metadata wasn’t on the CD’s as they are from a small label. Maybe it’s time to back it up and reload it... I know what I will be doing tomorrow, backing up the hard drive. I know it’s Friday the 13th and they say things come in three’s.
andrew Ivimey

#3 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I'm backed up right to today's rip. Anne-Sophie Mutter getting busy with Beethoven. It's a recent recording so should be no probs.It has ripped and plays but no pic. no track, artist info.- ggggrrrrrrrr
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#4 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by The Stratmangler »

I had a similar experience ripping with dBPoweramp, and ended up upgrading it (for a price) to a more recent version.
FreeDB has been shut down https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedb

I suggest you go and find out what's going on over at the Vortexbox forum.
There may be fixes for the issues you're having.
Chris :happy3:
Greg
Social outcast

#5 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by Greg »

The Stratmangler wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:20 pm I had a similar experience ripping with dBPoweramp, and ended up upgrading it (for a price) to a more recent version.
FreeDB has been shut down https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedb
Well, unless it’s changed, about £15 for a lifetime license. A first class easy to use flac level service and it’s very capable. I gave it a CD to rip that took eleven hours to finish and it managed it so I can now play it whenever I want.

No grumbles from me; quite the opposite.
ed
retired

#6 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by ed »

quite a few years ago we had a member(dewisant??) who asked me to write a music library and cataloguing system for his vinyl collection. I did this as an academic exercise and it used freedb and musicbrainz to lookup all the track info etc.

It seems following this thread that the freedb database has now folded...oh waily...not that it matters in the great scheme of things but my system will no longer work as is.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#7 Re: Vortexbox Blues

I have just looked at the sources pulled in by my up to date version of dBPoweramp and it's interesting reading.
The freedb database looks to be still available - perhaps the address has changed.
The Discogs database is pretty comprehensive, and it's first choice for dBP.

andrew Ivimey

#8 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

DBpoweramp is for ripping to a p.c. isn't it ?

Does this mean you'll rip a CD to a p.c. and then transfer the file across wifi to your vortexbox?
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#9 Re: Vortexbox Blues

I have a NAS on the network, and that's where I point dBPoweramp at to put the files.
The destination could just as easily be a Vortexbox.
dBPoweramp is also set up to follow the file structure on the NAS, so Artist/Album/tracknumber/title

andrew Ivimey

#10 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ok, I think I understand. I need to try something. Ta.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#11 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by vinylnvalves »

Can I find the special lead for the backup hardrive :( I will watch Andrews trials and hopeful success with interest. I do need to back it up as have put about 100 albums I no longer own the physical media for on there.
andrew Ivimey

#12 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

You plugs your hard drive into a front usb socket. The process is controlled by vortexbox software on a p.c. networked over wifi. This works, I'm happy to say.

It's getting proper data onto the vortexbox in the first place that's the prob. The CD rips internally in the Vortexbox. It just doesn't grab the picture file ( from the ether?) and now doesn't grab album and track descriptor info..

Might have to find Vortexbox website but I'm worried about people who want to be helpful but use unexplained acronyms and assume I know about these things.

Too many things to do
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#13 Re: Vortexbox Blues

What I mentioned earlier appears to be the issue - freedb was switched off
https://www.vortexbox.org/forum/support ... o-internet

There is a post at the bottom of the page with breadcrumbs
andrew Ivimey

#14 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ah,ha! thanks Chris. So even the album name and trackdara came from there.

Waily city!!!! What are we to do!?
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#15 Re: Vortexbox Blues

Have you got any option to use CUETools as your preferred metadata provider?