homeplugs

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
ed
retired

#1 homeplugs

Post by ed »

I'm not sure I've mentioned this before...

I run my audio setup through homeplugs. I've done this since 2005 when I first got a squeezebox as the NAS was in the attic. I tried wifi at the time but it kept dropping out, and the reception from the attic was flaky. So it's been homeplugs ever since.

Soooo.....I had a smart meter fitted around October time, which gave us one of those fancy usage monitors in the kitchen.

The point of this post is to mention that the homeplug link to the bosses laptop in the kitchen has been dropping out about 3 or 4 times a day since October.

coincidence?

I've since moved the NAS to the lounge and hardwired it to the router...but the laptop still drops out. I have to use the homeplug on the laptop because the wifi card has disappeared from the inventory. I suppose I could put a usb wifi dongle on the laptop...which is probably the next experiment.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
steve s
Shed dweller

#2 Re: homeplugs

Post by steve s »

I've done my best to avoid a smart meter being installed Ed,
I don't know why but i keep telling them no..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#3 Re: homeplugs

Post by simon »

Our little laptop, which is 10 years old, lost the wi fi adapter a while back. I couldn't get it going again and intended to get a wi fi dongle, but I prevarocated and one day it worked again. No idea why, but you might get lucky ed!
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#4 Re: homeplugs

Post by simon »

We're the same steve, but apparently we have to have one by the end of this year.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: homeplugs

Post by pre65 »

simon wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:23 pm We're the same steve, but apparently we have to have one by the end of this year.
The man who phoned about me having one could not understand my reluctance to have one, but I flatly refused the offer.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#6 Re: homeplugs

Post by Nick »

lost the wi fi adapter a while back.
May be worth (If you haven't done it) installing a WiFi snooper on a phone to see if there are any channel conflicts.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#7 Re: homeplugs

Post by ed »

I used to check the channel usage quite regularly, just for fun, and to see how strong the neighbour's routers were.
It isn't that. The wifi adapter hardware has disappeared from the device list so I can't enable, disable, or update the driver because the unit doesn't exist.

so I'm left with the rj45 or nothing, unless I get a USB dongle.

I did some research a while back and it seems it's not uncommon for Acer laptops to lose their wifi card due to oxidised contacts. I'm loathe to open it up again because the last time I did, to install an SSD, I broke the keyboard ribbon contact keeper and she has to use an external keyboard now. There is only 2 inches access when you lift the keyboard off these laptops.....waily waily.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#8 Re: homeplugs

Post by Nick »

Its not disabled in hardware is it? My old laptop has a function key sequence that turns the wifi off above and beyond the OS.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

#9 Re: homeplugs

Post by steve s »

ed wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:27 am I'm loathe to open it up again because the last time I did, to install an SSD, I broke the keyboard ribbon contact keeper and she has to use an external keyboard now. There is only 2 inches access when you lift the keyboard off these laptops.....waily waily.
That brings back memories of the 90s when I'd just been given a new laptop for work.
I'd just made a coffee for elevenses and put it on the shelf above my desk on a pile of papers, a few mins later I was routing through the pile of papers next to it.... and the cup slipped off, the full cup when down the screen onto the keyboard !!
A loud pop and it went dead
I spent the next three days washing the sugar out of it and drying it
Luckily I did get it to work again but the keyboard was never right..

Anyway i survived the end of year redundancies, sadly an anual event at the time.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number