picoreplayer

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Max N
Old Hand

#31 Re: picoreplayer

Post by Max N »

ed wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:43 pm Sorry Max I didn't realise you were working without a touch screen...my bad!
No worries Ed, I didn’t actually make it very clear!
This was all started by a chap on another forum saying he had plugged an hdmi monitor in to give a now playing display, so I thought I would give it a go. But a touch screen would be much more useful so I’ll go that route.
Max N
Old Hand

#32 Re: picoreplayer

Post by Max N »

simon wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:56 pm Do I understand correctly, you just need a touch screen and to enable jivelite in PCP and then you've got a Touch equivalent? Does it need any configuration?

Sounds tempting.
I think so, yes. There are how-to’s online which make it seem much more involved, but I think they are just out of date. All I needed to do in the end was select the Jivelite ON button and remember to click the button next to it which writes to the SD card (I guess). It may or may not be necessary to calibrate the touch function. And I get the impression it is best to use the official RPi touch screen, but that impression may also be due to reading out of date guides.
Max N
Old Hand

#33 Re: picoreplayer

Post by Max N »

Reading Ed’s post again, it sounds like it will indeed just work. Maybe the calibration I have read about is for screens other than the official 7” touch
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#34 Re: picoreplayer

Post by simon »

Thanks Max, £60 for a simple to setup touch screen option is very tempting. Perhaps ed can confirm?
ed
retired

#35 Re: picoreplayer

Post by ed »

I can confirm!

I was blown away by the simplicity and the functionality. I never had an SB touch so I can't compare but My guess is that this is the equal or better. Apart from the lack of rermote it's a big improvement on the SB classic that I had a while ago.

I bought the official screen because I'd read quite a bit about the cheaper screens needing some fudge work. These days I try awfully hard to avoid fudge work.

One thing that was disappointing was the case.... I bought my screen from the pihut together with a case(I'm using a pi3 for this). The case didn't fit. It was only nads out but I'd have had to bodge it to get it to fit...so I sent it back.
Mine now sits on a piece of 3/8 ply with 2 pieces of aluminium bent to form brackets...it's functional.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Neal
Shed dweller

#36 Re: picoreplayer

Post by Neal »

Don't suppose you have a pic of it Ed?

Tempted to add screen to my lash up DAC and RPi....how long is the cable to the screen if not HDMI?
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#37 Re: picoreplayer

Post by simon »

Thanks ed, and fully agree about removing fudge work - it really makes me consider the value of extra bits that save fudge time.
ed
retired

#38 Re: picoreplayer

Post by ed »

here are a few pics...apologies about the focus on the menu shot....v.trixy taking shots of screens using flash so its a shaky hand job
sys 40.jpg
pi front.jpg
now playing.jpg
ed
retired

#39 Re: picoreplayer

Post by ed »

and the last one it refused to include on the previous post
pi3 back.jpg
Neal wrote:Tempted to add screen to my lash up DAC and RPi....how long is the cable to the screen if not HDMI?
The ribbon in the pic is the connection from screen to pi.
Neal
Shed dweller

#40 Re: picoreplayer

Post by Neal »

Ok thanks Ed, my Pi is in a box with the DAC so maybe a bit tricky using something other than HDMI.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
Max N
Old Hand

#41 Re: picoreplayer

Post by Max N »

I decided I just had to try the touchscreen, and it was every bit as easy as Ed said. I also went for the official screen, and a case from PiHut.
IMG_0125.jpg
Max N
Old Hand

#42 Re: picoreplayer

Post by Max N »

The case wasn't a perfect fit, but close enough with a bit of fettling. I spaced the controller board off the back of the display with some small washers, and opened up the holes on the RPi board itself to give me a bit of play.
IMG_0128.jpg
Max N
Old Hand

#43 Re: picoreplayer

Post by Max N »

I decided the transparent case would look cool, but I think the novelty is wearing off :lol:
IMG_0132.jpg
IMG_0134.jpg
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#44 Re: picoreplayer

Post by simon »

Very nice Max. I've been thinking of getting one myself but haven't got a round to it yet. Must get one.
Max N
Old Hand

#45 Re: picoreplayer

Post by Max N »

When I get some time, I will try to figure out if I can power it from a battery, if I can fit it inside the case