digital audio and HDMi switcher

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Aidan
User

#1 digital audio and HDMi switcher

Post by Aidan »

Hi All

I've got a WD PRE3/WDVA88/Musical Fidelity Anniversary TriVista DAC, and an LG Smart TV/SKY/Tidal as sources.

So that I can run Tidal I use Chromecast. Because I want the videos from Tidal (or the web), it is a TV Chromecast - single HDMI output) rather than the Chromecast audio - single optical output (which I also have as a spare).

The TriVista DAC has only two inputs, Optical and Coaxial. 'll keep the sources to SKY and Tidal for simplicity.

For all this to work together I have a central hub to which I connect HDMI from Chromecast and HDMI from SKY. It then sends the HDMI output to TV HDMI 1, and coaxial digital from the selected HDMI input to the DAC.

Currently I use a 4 way HDMI switcher with 1 HDMI, 1 Optical and 1 Coaxial output (I'm not interested in any analogue output). This is a great gadget - you have seen them on eBay and Amazon etc. Cost £23 including postage. Credit card size flimsy remote.

However ... £23 including postage... Good job I didn't expect quality LOL. It adds hum and crackles way too much :twisted: . I'd like something similar without the hum and crackle.

Any ideas :?: Many moons ago I had a Meridian 621V, but that was an expensive unit and anyway time and HDTV has left it far behind.

£23 would be a nice price LOL Any ideas? What silent devices do others use?

Any

Cheers, Aidan
Aidan
User

#2 Re: digital audio and HDMi switcher

Post by Aidan »

Problem solved!

For those interested (approximate number probably close to zero) the reason for the crackles when taking the digital sound from the HDMI switcher was actually the chromecast. It also happened only when the output was not from SKY i.e. chromecast streamed directly from chromecast itself, as the SKY signal originates from the SKY dish or on catchup from SKY wireless. Odd!

I found out by using a chromecast audio. Anyway back to PC world for a swap as too many sources spoil the dish.

Aidan
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#3 Re: digital audio and HDMi switcher

Post by simon »

I'm kinda interested, just not really sure I understand it! Are you saying that the Chromecast is emitting crud that the Chromecast Audio doesn't???
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: digital audio and HDMi switcher

Post by Mike H »

All Greek to me! :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."