RPi Reclocker

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1 RPi Reclocker

Post by Ray P »

Here's an interesting looking project that might be of interest to RPi users; should result in a worthwhile uplift in performance.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital- ... -sbcs.html

Will be interesting to see the price point they pitch it at.

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2 Re: RPi Reclocker

Post by jack »

In post #8 they state less than USD 80.

Interesting...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IDM
Old Hand

#3 Re: RPi Reclocker

Post by IDM »

I bought a Kali re-clocker about a month ago and finally got round to building a linear PSU with 3A* capacity to try it out.

The difference with and without is not subtle. The Kali offers a big leap forward in terms of micro-detail and imaging. I strongly recommend for anyone using an RPI.

System it has been put into is RPI 3, Kali re-clocker, Home-brew Non-Os TDA1541A double crown DAC with passive I/'V and ECC88 output, software is Volumio 2.

I bought the board via the Volumio shop and elected for the EU stock in order to avoid the custom fees (as the board is manufactured in India). IFIRC it cost about £80 all in.

* Interestingly alot is made of needing a 3A supply, but when I measured the current draw for the RPI +Kali it never exceeded about 0.45A. Admittedly, I don,t have anything on the USB, just the ethernet connected.

Cheers
Ian
Mudshark
Old Hand

#4 Re: RPi Reclocker

Post by Mudshark »

Sorry but in layman's terms, wtf is a........ FIFO BUFFER for a RPI /FPCs. :?:
Mudshark
Old Hand

#5 Re: RPi Reclocker

Post by Mudshark »

Sorry but in layman's terms, wtf is a........ FIFO BUFFER for a RPI /FPCs. :?:
Nick
Site Admin

#6 Re: RPi Reclocker

Post by Nick »

Its like a graphic equaliser.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mudshark
Old Hand

#7 Re: RPi Reclocker

Post by Mudshark »

Cool. 8)
Michael L
Old Hand

#8 Re: RPi Reclocker

Post by Michael L »

Doesn't the quality of circuit design in the DAC make these reclockers redundant? I would have thought a decent DAC would compensate for many / all shortfalls.
Neal
Shed dweller

#9 Re: RPi Reclocker

Post by Neal »

I’ve just got around to fitting the Allo reclocker to my RPi feeding my reworked TDA1541a based DAC. The result is very positive, reminds me of when I fitted a Tent clock to a SB Mk2. Much more musically engaging and easier to listen to with less siblance and more detail...
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
advr61
New User

#10 Re: RPi Reclocker

Post by advr61 »

IDM wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:21 pm I bought a Kali re-clocker about a month ago and finally got round to building a linear PSU with 3A* capacity to try it out.

The difference with and without is not subtle. The Kali offers a big leap forward in terms of micro-detail and imaging. I strongly recommend for anyone using an RPI.

System it has been put into is RPI 3, Kali re-clocker, Home-brew Non-Os TDA1541A double crown DAC with passive I/'V and ECC88 output, software is Volumio 2.

I bought the board via the Volumio shop and elected for the EU stock in order to avoid the custom fees (as the board is manufactured in India). IFIRC it cost about £80 all in.

* Interestingly alot is made of needing a 3A supply, but when I measured the current draw for the RPI +Kali it never exceeded about 0.45A. Admittedly, I don,t have anything on the USB, just the ethernet connected.

Cheers
Ian
Hi Ian,

I know it's an old post but which version of the Kali reclocker did you buy as there are two versions: 22/24kHz and 44/48kHz.

At the moment I connect the i2s signal from a HifiBerry Digi+Pro direct into a tda1541aS2 but I want to replace the Digi with a Kali reclocker. But don't know which version.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ad.