Christmas has come early part 2

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Another opamp to try is the LME49860

Specs for this little beast are very impressive but its a touch expensive at £6

Regarding Oscons, I'd be cautious about using them in all locations. They are great at decoupling the digital and analogue supplies but I'd keep them well clear of any signal paths like the VCOM line on the AK chip or C35....also I would not bypass them. From previous experience I found this had a detrimental effect on the sound.
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Oooh...I'm liking the LME49860, more texture to instruments and vocals, not bad at all.
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

Neal wrote:Oooh...I'm liking the LME49860, more texture to instruments and vocals, not bad at all.
better than the op627 ?
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Not tried it on these DACs so don't know....
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

I have just had a chance to compare the op amps 627a with the 4562. very difficult to tell apart on a comparison with a 5-10 second delay. overall I would say the 627a was a little smoother but the 4562 had a little more detail and a little brighter.
I will be staying with the 4562 for now and compare when I get around to building the upgraded board.
I must admit that I really like the stock dac sound as is, which is not motivating me to upgrade with any urgency.
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

I Have just listened to the 627a and the 4562 again. On reflection the 4562 is brighter. the 627a is better able to reveal more detail during complex mixes. I have just listened to Peter Gabriel- New blood. I can hear new instruments without having to strain the ears and pick the different rhythms.

Another lesson learnt, Bright is not always detailed :wink:
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Nice one...amd what converter board did you use to go from dual opamp to two singles?
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

Neal wrote:Nice one...amd what converter board did you use to go from dual opamp to two singles?
the one that came with it :lol:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260795345815? ... 772wt_1110
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

:) Nice price...got one on order, thanks!
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Starting to whittle down my pile of DAC's...still waiting for the OP627 from China but the AK is getting there although it's not close to my Caimen with mods....OK a little unfair but its a target.

Since reclaiming the sitting room after Xmas the Biscuit DAC has performed OK....in isolation and via headphones but it doesn't get close to the Caimen and the AK in standard form is a better overall. I had plans to tweak the Biscuit but I don't think its worth the effort....bottom of the pile...

I've also thrown into the mix my MF A3.24 and Arcam TDA1541 NOS DAC.

The MF is similar in presentation to the AK but again the Caimen still wins out. The Arcam is similar again but theres something it does differently that keeps me listening to it...where with the MF and AK I get bored the Arcam keeps me hooked...hmmmm
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

Is the Arcam standard or have you fiddled ?
Thoughts are just little stories that our brains tell us !
Neal
Shed dweller

Post by Neal »

Definitely fiddled with!

al newall
Needs to get out more

Post by al newall »

Nice to have a few DACs to play with Neal.
A well modded TD1541 may well be preferable to the AK. I've noticed a few others that think the same.
I think at this level it's probably damn close and mostly down to personal taste.
Much to learn there is.
richardcooper2k
Old Hand

Post by richardcooper2k »

consensus on the diyaudio thread seems to be the TD1541 can be made to sound better but it costs more. The AK is extremely good value and if you blow it up you can buy a new board for peanuts.
The chap who put together the BOM is threatening to post a simple shunt PS schematic so that will be interesting
Thoughts are just little stories that our brains tell us !
bostod
User

Post by bostod »

I have had a go at repalcing some of the capacitors as reccomemded. I replaced the large power supply capacitors, 2 capacitors near the op amps and 2 oscons in the reccomended place. when i powered the dac up 2 of the large power supply capacitors fried and popped after about 20 seconds. all the other capacitors remained cool. are these directional? i know the ocsons are and took care to fit them as per diagram. what would cause the caps to cook. i ensured all the wiring was replaced excactly as i found it.