Dac for an arcam delta 170.3 transport

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
Ant
Shed dweller

#61 Re: Dac for an arcam delta 170.3 transport

Post by Ant »

Well im quite happy with the cyrus, sounds pretty similar to the musical fidelity xray i had, which it will do, it has the same pcm1716 24/96 dac in it as the mf did. different mech though, the mf had a sony kss mech in it wheras the cyrus has a philips cdm 12.1 mech in it.
I think the mf x24k dac i had and used with the original delta 170.3 transport years ago also had the pcm 1716 dac chip in it.
I remember the xray being a little more forward, this cyrus is quite smooth

Happy with that
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Ant
Shed dweller

#62 Re: Dac for an arcam delta 170.3 transport

Post by Ant »

Doing some faffing with the delta today.

Thought id put the belt in that i got for it, and it turns out that both belts are fine. Watching the drawer as its going in i initially thought that the microswitch at the back that tells it to stop when closed was triggering very slightly early. There is a cast lug on the drawer that hits the switch which then stops the motor.

But when it does decide to fully close there is no difference in observed conditions.... So the drawer is stopping short of where its supposed to which is having a knock on effect of stopping the disc clamp coming down all the way because it rides on a ramp cast into the drawer and is pulled down by a pair of springs
Hence the orrible graunchy noise as the disc tries to spin while not held in place properly

Gave the lens a quick clean with some meths while i was in there and it seems to read faster even though nothing visibly came off on the cotton bud i used.
Shoving the drawer all the way in so that the drawer face is not flush with the fascia also seems to help it read, probably because the disc clamp comes as far down as possible.

There must be a mechanical issue that im not spotting that is the drawer close issue because it will fully close, then it wont, and the switches are triggering at the same time every time.
Hmm

Ant
Shed dweller

#63 Re: Dac for an arcam delta 170.3 transport

Post by Ant »

Well i pulled the transport apart completely, cleaned and regreased everything and put it back together.
It appears to be functioning correctly now, and seems to lock up nicely when the drawer closes.
There were little bits of old hard grease in the mech all over the place so maybe that had something to do with it, but nothing immediately apparent as the cause.
Ive sent it up to mi dads to try it out as i havent got a dac plugged in to anything to test it.
It appears to be reading discs properly and the display is counting, and it will track jump and start playing so hopefully its now ok
We shall see

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#64 Re: Dac for an arcam delta 170.3 transport

Post by Cressy Snr »

I've had the Delta 170.3 transport a couple of days now and it is working faultlessly. It sounds great with the Topping E30 DAC and third party external 5V regulated linear power supply.
I had one of these transports 30 years ago with the Black Box 3, one of the first 'bitstream' type single bit DACs. Purchased the Arcam duo from Sound With Style's Doncaster branch. It cost me a bleed'n fortune, but it was bloody good and so it ought to have been.
Seeing it's turquoise track display lit up filled me with nostalgia. It sounds better with the Topping DAC than it did with the Black Box 3. The Topping brings the sound of this venerable transport into the 21st century. Very nice. :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ant
Shed dweller

#65 Re: Dac for an arcam delta 170.3 transport

Post by Ant »

Well moving on from the delta, its finally dead. It wont play anything for more than 5 seconds. Reads fine, selects tracks fine, then plays five seconds and stops. Something on the logic board maybe. Who knows.
The cyrus cd7 is fine so thats ok.
I also swapped the akai 4000ds r2r for a linn mimik cd player. The akai was sat doing nothing and i was vaguely considering a second player to go upstairs with the nva amp and audio technica electret cans. This one has 1994 date codes on the boards, uses an 18 bit cs4238 kp dac, and a hitachi hop-m3 mech.
Im actually quite surprised by it, its pretty nice actually. I dont know what i was expecting it to sound like but its nice and smooth for a relatively early player. Has a bnc digital out on it and came with a bnc to phono adapter, so, like the cyrus, i can stick a dac on it if so inclined.
And like the cyrus i cant be bothered to.
Anyway, the linn is downstairs and the cyrus has been put away for now. The cyrus sounds better, but, and i cant quite believe i can say this about a linn anything, it has a certain something that i quite like. Abit of life to it.
When it inevitably packs in like the delta did the cyrus will replace it.
It turns its display off after 20 seconds though the stupid bloody thing, apparently its supposed to do this and if you wanted to pay linn, their dealers would turn the display on all the time for you.
Bullshit.

karatestu
User

#66 Re: Dac for an arcam delta 170.3 transport

Post by karatestu »

Ant wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:23 pm Well moving on from the delta, its finally dead. It wont play anything for more than 5 seconds. Reads fine, selects tracks fine, then plays five seconds and stops. Something on the logic board maybe. Who knows.
The cyrus cd7 is fine so thats ok.
I also swapped the akai 4000ds r2r for a linn mimik cd player. The akai was sat doing nothing and i was vaguely considering a second player to go upstairs with the nva amp and audio technica electret cans. This one has 1994 date codes on the boards, uses an 18 bit cs4238 kp dac, and a hitachi hop-m3 mech.
Im actually quite surprised by it, its pretty nice actually. I dont know what i was expecting it to sound like but its nice and smooth for a relatively early player. Has a bnc digital out on it and came with a bnc to phono adapter, so, like the cyrus, i can stick a dac on it if so inclined.
And like the cyrus i cant be bothered to.
Anyway, the linn is downstairs and the cyrus has been put away for now. The cyrus sounds better, but, and i cant quite believe i can say this about a linn anything, it has a certain something that i quite like. Abit of life to it.
When it inevitably packs in like the delta did the cyrus will replace it.
It turns its display off after 20 seconds though the stupid bloody thing, apparently its supposed to do this and if you wanted to pay linn, their dealers would turn the display on all the time for you.
Bullshit.
Hey Ant. What transport does the Arcam use ?
:bigsmurf:
Ant
Shed dweller

#67 Re: Dac for an arcam delta 170.3 transport

Post by Ant »

Its a philips cdm1 mk2