Hi, Thanks for letting me join your group.

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
MixerMark
New User

#1 Hi, Thanks for letting me join your group.

Post by MixerMark »

My name is Mark Williams. A couple of friends, David Loder and Meredith Tanner suggested i join and be part of the conversation.

My background includes fifty years in the recording business, working as a recording engineer, mixer, and producer/engineer. I still do a bit of work from my home office during this period of pandemic isolation, mostly editing and mixing. And with changes in the business and me getting older, I began a new business publishing new editions of thrillers from the late 1800s, although I expect that area of interest is outside of this group.

So, studios, mobile trucks, more studios, and here and there some HiFi involvement. In Chicago I worked for a year at a Musiccraft store, mostly mid-Fi and some relatively high-end Fi, while also building a studio. In mid 1970s Atlanta, I worked for a crazy guy who opened a shop that was soon a very early HiFi store in the late 1940s. He knew Rudy Bozak and Frank McIntosh personally, and I met people at the store like Saul Marantz and Joe Grado.

I maintain that my sometimes maligned field of work in recording is really a form of packaging. Artists need to reach listeners with their music, record labels spent a great deal of money creating recordings and wanted to inspire listeners to buy the recordings, and listeners existed who consumed the recordings through all sorts of devices (at widely varying levels of audio fidelity). At one time, murky car radio speakers and muddy console stereos in the 1960s and early 1970s led to pop music recordings that had projected upper mids and constrained low end so as to better "translate" over those common playback systems. It worked - if your record when played over a typical AM car radio and dashboard speaker could be made to "pop out" of the foggy audio playback, the listener was more likely to pay attention.

I have always had an interest in making recordings that worked well on better playback systems, but the opportunities were few. In the late 1980s - mid 1990s I was glad to help engineer a number of albums for Reference Recordings. Tam Henderson produced, Keith Johnson was the senior engineer and I was the studio staff engineer. More specifically, KOJ handled his 8-channel mixer with mic pairs on key vocals or instruments, and I handled the 36 input studio console for everything else. Live to two-track was the order of the day for those records, and we tracked simultaneously to KOJ's custom built tape machine (he was secretive about tape speed, bias frequency, record curve, etc.) and also to digital through a KOJ modified convertor. Of those recordings, the Jim Brock and John Sharp records remain my favorites. Of course, the guys that played on the recordings eventually got copies and all told me how they had to turn them up huge amounts because they were so quiet, and I tried to explain that was the result of avoiding level processing during the recording. At the same time, Tam told me that on exotic and expensive systems they sounded glorious. If you have heard any of those records, you can make your own decisions. My point is of course, that recordings can be made for different playback conditions and will consequently sound very different in the "wrong" environment.

Enough blather. that is more than I intended to write. Thank you for letting me in and I will probably lurk and learn on most of my visits.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Hi, Thanks for letting me join your group.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Welcome Mark. Great to see you here. :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
ed
retired

#3 Re: Hi, Thanks for letting me join your group.

Post by ed »

Welcome Mark

I for one look forward to any contribution from you. I have also been recording for over 40 years, trying to master the various technologies as they’ve appeared. However, all my experience has been from a hobby perspective and I imagine in terms of technical ability that I haven’t even learned to walk yet.

Any pointers will be gratefully received from this quarter.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
MixerMark
New User

#4 Re: Hi, Thanks for letting me join your group.

Post by MixerMark »

Thanks, I'm glad I'm not the only old fader-jockey here.

But you know what to do. Listen a lot and try to hear what you want to end up with in your head before beginning. I liked saying that I had begun mixing as soon as I started choosing microphones.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Hi, Thanks for letting me join your group.

Post by IslandPink »

Welcome to the forum, your experience will be great to have here. Hope you find something interesting for yourself.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Hi, Thanks for letting me join your group.

Post by Dave the bass »

Welcome!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
steve s
Shed dweller

#7 Re: Hi, Thanks for letting me join your group.

Post by steve s »

Welcome, sounds like you have a great background !!
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Irene Idler
User

#8 Re: Hi, Thanks for letting me join your group.

Post by Irene Idler »

Hey Mark, good to see you here! I look forward to seeing your input on the board.

To everyone else, Mark is an old friend of mine -- we met when he engineered my pro demo back in 1990. The Jim Brock and John Sharp recordings he mentioned are well worth seeking out. Here's a sample!
"Hey, you know the rules, baby. If you wanna PLAY funky, you gotta SMELL funky." -- Mike Troutman