I'm not spam but

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
Snorbans
User

#1 I'm not spam but

Post by Snorbans »

Hello
It's all about the music for me. Happiness is a warm class A amp ...that behaves itself and is high in bang for buck

No equipment has been obtained through the new and shiny route. Upcycling, and down cycling projects. Some diy some refurb 'd. Hope audiotalk will help me on this journey
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: I'm not spam but

Post by Dave the bass »

Welcome 'Snorbans'! :) I know who you are now, enjoy the forum.

This fella ^^^ is a diamond folks, I know him.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
steve s
Shed dweller

#3 Re: I'm not spam but

Post by steve s »

Yes, hope you enjoy this place,
welcome..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: I'm not spam but

Post by Mike H »

Greetings! :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Snorbans
User

#5 Re: I'm not spam but

Post by Snorbans »

I thought I could add an equipment list

Vintage 1st and mainly
Yamaha cr800, recapped, normally paired with Tannoy Devons, built new crossovers for those, a match made in heaven

A Lenco GL75 i have just done a bit of a refurb on, AT VM95e

Marantz 2245, all original except the bulbs,best matched with my rebuilt Ar3a. The bass, is huge, great for classical music these speakers, plugs in the low end of the orchestra. Not close to the Yamaha / Tannoy combo otherwise

Then new and diy, the Korg B1 pre amp, mainly linked to a quad 405-2, which probably isn't doing it justice. I've been thing of tinkering with the 405 a la Keith Snook, dual mono it, but keen on one of those Pass diy amp options, but which one?

All those options fed by either a Mac and a LMS server and a Justboom dac board or a Rpi with iq audio dad board, again providing a lMS server

Oh and a Sony bsd s7200, which is transport into the justboom dac by coaxial as i hope to rip some SACD

Apart from that lot i am a complete minimalist, honest
shane
Social outcast

#6 Re: I'm not spam but

Post by shane »

Back in the day I used to love those big Yamaha receivers. Couldn’t tell you what they sounded like now but they had the smoothest and most beautifully engineered controls I ever came across. If Bugatti made hi-fi....
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: I'm not spam but

Post by IslandPink »

Snorbans wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:08 pm .. but keen on one of those Pass diy amp options, but which one?
Definitely the F5, they seem to have a bit more tone than the F4 which I built. Also the gain on the F5 is handy.
Haven't heard the F6 , though.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#8 Re: I'm not spam but

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:12 pm
Snorbans wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:08 pm .. but keen on one of those Pass diy amp options, but which one?
Definitely the F5, they seem to have a bit more tone than the F4 which I built. Also the gain on the F5 is handy.
Haven't heard the F6 , though.
Yep, I would agree with that about the F4, it very much depends on what’s in front of it. I found a choke loaded 76 worked very well. But the F5 is so much simpler and just gets on with it.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9 Re: I'm not spam but

Post by jack »

Snorbans wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:08 pm I thought I could add an equipment list

... a quad 405-2...
I quite like the 405-2, but it does need a bit of help these days, being long-in-the-tooth...

Did a page of my rebuild efforts which includes both Ludwig and Snook: https://nick.desmith.net/Electronics/QUAD_upgrades.html
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Snorbans
User

#10 Re: I'm not spam but

Post by Snorbans »

I have been playing the Korg B1 through the quad 405 and the power sections of the marantz. Doing an A and B between the B1/Quad and the Yamaha, the Yammy wipes the floor with it. So much more sparkle and open sounding. Liking the B1 with the Marantz, particularly with a Topping e30 dropped in too, so it's the quad thats the weak item.

Now the F6 or F5 are both tempting me but given i have 4 10k had capacitors from last time I thought about this, and I don't have the funds for the f6, I'm going to defer on that, I think it's time to do the desmith dual mono. Those pages of yours Nick have been a regular read for me. Thank you for your message.

The 405_2 was someone's back up DJ option and externally it's a sight, if I'm pleased with the sound improvement i may treat it to a Chinese clone case. Which seems a cheaper option than a good paint job. A £50 pound parts list given i have the big caps seems a good bang for buck investment
ed
retired

#11 Re: I'm not spam but

Post by ed »

hi snorbans, and welcome.....

depending where you live I could lend you an F2, F4 or F6 if you're still keen to evaluate the sound. The F2 is unlikely to be sparkling as it doesn't play well with multi-way speakers, it's not usually very happy with crossovers..

If you have a korg B1 then I'm thinking the F4 will be very satisfying.....

I used my original B1 with the F4 for ages in the early days and it was definitely the pick for me. I still use the F4 at the mo, but directly from a Topping E30...to my ears it's still the most transparent.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ant
Shed dweller

#12 Re: I'm not spam but

Post by Ant »

I use a b1 with an f5, the f5 us a dual mono build but otherwise standard. The b1 is one that ed built so is the original circuit. For me, the combination is exactly what i want as i use high efficiency speakers, the f5 doesnt run out of gain.

But to be honest, either an f4 or f5 would be a great choice. Ive heard eds f4 a couple of times, which would have probably been with the b1, and it made an impression. I jumped at the chance to get the f5 a couple of years ago and have had no inclination to change it at all. I borrowed the b1 later as i wanted to try one with the f5 and had to have it once i heard it.
With the pass amps i dont think you can go wrong
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Snorbans
User

#13 Re: I'm not spam but

Post by Snorbans »

Thanks for the advice on the various Pass amps, and the offer to borrow Ed. Seriously impressed with this group, I'm down in the South so can't see it working so I'll have to er Pass but very good of you.
Nick
Site Admin

#14 Re: I'm not spam but

Post by Nick »

Seriously impressed with this group,
That will wear off as you get to know us :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: I'm not spam but

Post by pre65 »

Snorbans wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:35 am
I'm down in the South
No need to apologise, there are a few of us in Kent/ Essex. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)