Audiophool from Sheffield.....

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
soulman
User

#1 Audiophool from Sheffield.....

Post by soulman »

I have been a member on the 'Wam for a long time but have become fed up with the new direction and dearth of threads and discussions. I've made a lot of friends through bakeoffs and hope to continue that trend in the future on different fora.

Most of my kit is diy (Bastanis speakers, Salas phono stage, DDDac 1794) as I've noticed if I decide to build something I do more research and end up keeping it long term. This is good for my bank balance and state of mind, it means I now listen to more music rather than the kit.
Ant
Shed dweller

#2 Re: Audiophool from Sheffield.....

Post by Ant »

Hi soulman, theres quite a few of us round the area, im probably about 6, 7 miles away from Sheffield
Welcome to the forum
Cheers ant
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
soulman
User

#3 Re: Audiophool from Sheffield.....

Post by soulman »

Thanks Ant, I'm usually known as Des and that's good to know.....
steve s
Shed dweller

#4 Re: Audiophool from Sheffield.....

Post by steve s »

Welcome Des, as another long term OB user and diyer your in good company.. I'm only around 60m away
I know a few of the wammers in the area but don't post much anywhere at the moment... life's too short..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#5 Re: Audiophool from Sheffield.....

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I thought the place ex wammers went when they finally got pissed off with Petfood Pete was The Audio Abattoir. But here is far less clique ridden, less bake-offs though. We need them promoted more - gert on wiv it for us!
soulman
User

#6 Re: Audiophool from Sheffield.....

Post by soulman »

steve s wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:37 pm Welcome Des, as another long term OB user and diyer your in good company.. I'm only around 60m away
I know a few of the wammers in the area but don't post much anywhere at the moment... life's too short..
The Bastanis are Wildhorns (back loaded bottom firing main driver and front loaded horn compression tweeter) not the OB biggies. I am currently building a set of the Club-27 Jimi speakers which are an open baffle 12" mid and 1" compression driver plus a sealed box bass driver.
soulman
User

#7 Re: Audiophool from Sheffield.....

Post by soulman »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:49 pm I thought the place ex wammers went when they finally got pissed off with Petfood Pete was The Audio Abattoir. But here is far less clique ridden, less bake-offs though. We need them promoted more - gert on wiv it for us!
I pop in there sometimes but the threads so far haven't grabbed my attention. Since the wam has turned up its toes most of the bakeoffs are organised by PM and then made public to fill the spaces up, so more like a group of pals meeting than the original bakeoff concept.
Ant
Shed dweller

#8 Re: Audiophool from Sheffield.....

Post by Ant »

Our annual forum meet at owston lodge just outside donny usually has about 30 ish people, and that is basically a group of pals meeting up.
With the odd guest such as Morgan Jones and I think a few years ago we had someone from hifi world came along, every year we have some new faces
Its not a bake off really, just a chance to meet up and see everyone
Its a good day
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
steve s
Shed dweller

#9 Re: Audiophool from Sheffield.....

Post by steve s »

soulman wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:04 pm
steve s wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:37 pm Welcome Des, as another long term OB user and diyer your in good company.. I'm only around 60m away
The Bastanis are Wildhorns (back loaded bottom firing main driver and front loaded horn compression tweeter) not the OB biggies. I am currently building a set of the Club-27 Jimi speakers which are an open baffle 12" mid and 1" compression driver plus a sealed box bass driver.
Would love to hear those club-27 speakers once they are done...
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: Audiophool from Sheffield.....

Post by IslandPink »

Ant wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:14 pm With the odd guest such as Morgan Jones and I think a few years ago we had someone from hifi world came along, every year we have some new faces
Its not a bake off really
No, never been a bake off.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
soulman
User

#11 Re: Audiophool from Sheffield.....

Post by soulman »

steve s wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:47 pm
soulman wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:04 pm
Sure we can arrange that Steve, either here or your place, or if one of the MCRU meets is for speakers :cheers: They had an amazing review on 6 moons (not sure if that is a good or bad thing :-?) and are directly related to the Bastanis OB's, driver quality being the main difference.
steve s
Shed dweller

#12 Re: Audiophool from Sheffield.....

Post by steve s »

Sure we can arrange that Steve, either here or your place, or if one of the MCRU meets is for speakers :cheers: They had an amazing review on 6 moons (not sure if that is a good or bad thing :-?) and are directly related to the Bastanis OB's, driver quality being the main difference.

That would be great ... i was planning to take my obs to Dave's next speaker bake off, so there is good .. or if not happily at mine or yours .. Thanks...
RhythMick
Old Hand

#13 Re: Audiophool from Sheffield.....

Post by RhythMick »

Hello all - newbie here from near Penistone.

I've built a couple sets of what I think are beautiful sounding flea-powered power amps (5842 -> 45) driving Lowther DX3s in Icon Audio cabs with subwoofer assistance. I'd love to get together with others and hear different systems, get feedback on mine.

The meet near Donny sounds interesting - how do I get myself an invite ?

Cheers
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14 Re: Audiophool from Sheffield.....

Post by Dave the bass »

Hello,

You'd fit in nicely with that set up you've described, welcome! If its all neatly made you'll lose bonus points though, but those points could be won back by playing DTB-approved musics.... :)

We only have one big get together a year now at Owston but there might be something smaller happening up your way from time to time. Next one is due sometime in 2018 if our-StevesS is still up for organising.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
RhythMick
Old Hand

#15 Re: Audiophool from Sheffield.....

Post by RhythMick »

I'm safe re losing points for neatness. My brother did the woodwork and aesthetics, so possible point-loss there, but my build will bring it back down to scratch no issues.

I'm also happy to do my bit to help organise (no that doesn't mean "dump it all on the new guy")