Bigman80 says Hello!

To cut down on spam, we tend to remove users that haven't posted anything after a day or so, so this is the place to say hi for the first time.
Bigman80
User

#1 Bigman80 says Hello!

Post by Bigman80 »

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello and thanks for allowing me to join the forum. I'v been reading from afar and thought it was about time I joined!!

A bit about me:

Music: I love bits of all genre's of music, My main replay preference is vinyl. The Beatles hold a very high position in my list of favorites

Gear: Well, it's ever changing recently lol. I have a Toshiba SR-370 TT, Alphasson HR100MCS tonearm, ZXY R50 Bloom Cartridge, Firebottle OTP MK2 Phono stage, Firebottle Monoblocks, Pioneer CS-77A Speakers and a Denon 825 CDP. The interconnects are Klotz MC5000 terminated with MS Audio Rhodium RCA's and the Speaker cable is IXOS although i cant remember the actual model number haha.

Hobbies other than HiFi: I was a guitarist in a band, I learnt to play the drums and bass and recorded a few songs with an Australian artist. Nothing major, just happy to do the songs! In my early years i was a very talented Cellist but didn't have the desire to push on with it. I turned down the opportunity to study music in London to pursue a footballing career. Didn't go well lol. I was also a keen amateur boxer which in more recent years evolved into MMA (google UFC for a video example of MMA) After an injury finished my ability to train at that level, I turned to weightlifting. I am also a father of three and married to a wonderful woman.

Music has been a long time passion and i love trialing new gear. I am very happy to write my opinions on anything new i've heard and share if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Oliver
Last edited by Bigman80 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#2 Re: Bigman80 says Hello!

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Ah! Firey's #1 shill has arrived, prepare to be educated as to how the game is played.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Bigman80 says Hello!

Post by pre65 »

Welcome Oliver, hope you will get to like it here.

I'm not well up with Firebottle products, can you tell me a bit about them please ? :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Bigman80
User

#4 Re: Bigman80 says Hello!

Post by Bigman80 »

pre65 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:20 pm Welcome Oliver, hope you will get to like it here.

I'm not well up with Firebottle products, can you tell me a bit about them please ? :)
Best thing to do is have a chat with the man himself. If you're genuinly interested, drop me a private message or Dr Dafty will be throwing his toys everywhere!! :lol:
Bigman80
User

#5 Re: Bigman80 says Hello!

Post by Bigman80 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:16 pm Ah! Firey's #1 shill has arrived, prepare to be educated as to how the game is played.
Welcomed with name calling! how lovely! Living up to your reputation, Dicky.

Sorry to say, you are playing alone, Dr.

:lol:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Bigman80 says Hello!

Post by pre65 »

I did meet Alan at Owston, but did not get to chat in depth.

It's OK to respond to my question, old honeybum does not call the shots on here. :)

Edmund Burke

Bigman80
User

#7 Re: Bigman80 says Hello!

Post by Bigman80 »

pre65 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:41 pm I did meet Alan at Owston, but did not get to chat in depth.

It's OK to respond to my question, old honeybum does not call the shots on here. :)
Alan makes 3 different models of Phono preamplifier. The FB-OTP, The Firebottle Plus (valve) and the Vivant (Valve)

He also makes a Dual Mono Power amp and Monoblocks. There is also the KIN which is an Active Preamp with Vivant built in.

There is also the FB-AIR power amp. For anything technical, you will have to ask the man himself lol
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Bigman80 says Hello!

Post by pre65 »

Thanks Oliver.

I did a quick Google, but could not find a web site for Firebottle products ?

Edmund Burke

Bigman80
User

#9 Re: Bigman80 says Hello!

Post by Bigman80 »

pre65 wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:02 pm Thanks Oliver.

I did a quick Google, but could not find a web site for Firebottle products ?
Alan doesn't want one! His reason being that he is enjoying the freedom of retirement. He builds what people ask for but doesn't want to do it full time.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: Bigman80 says Hello!

Post by IslandPink »

Welcome Oliver - every few months I find there's a need to go back to the Beatles -
& every time I listen to them again my respect grows :D
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#11 Re: Bigman80 says Hello!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Beatles yeah, can't be beat! I got off the train at West Hampstead so I could bus into the West End last week and sure enough down Abbey Rd all those peeps taking pics and selfie of a certain zebra crossing....Larks.

Oliver are you the fire bottle shill? Did I get that right. All this mystery and heavy dissing from Dochoneybun makes fire bottle exotic attractive and very interesting. Ironic eh!

Anyway, welcome
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Bigman80
User

#12 Re: Bigman80 says Hello!

Post by Bigman80 »

Thanks for the welcome, Andrew! I really love the Beatles. No band would be where they are without them. Thats quite the legacy!

I am not a shill, Andrew. I am someone who bought a Firebottle Phonostage after trying a few others. It blew my mind how this fella round the corner from me can make music sound better than it did from my Sony 730ES. I like his attitude towards music and its reproduction. Due to this, and my enjoyment of his equipment, i then filled my listening space with Firebottle products and i've never been happier. If you get the chance to demo anything, i would recommend it.
Bigman80
User

#13 Re: Bigman80 says Hello!

Post by Bigman80 »

IslandPink wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:55 pm Welcome Oliver - every few months I find there's a need to go back to the Beatles -
& every time I listen to them again my respect grows :D
Hi mate! I like your user name, is it a reference to the pink island labels bands like the Free were signed to?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14 Re: Bigman80 says Hello!

Post by IslandPink »

Oh yes - best label in the world, c. 1970 . Such a great roster of artists. I think I really took to those LP's when I first got a pink 'i' label copy of 'Liege and Lief' about 15 years ago. Part of the appeal is a lot were produced by John Wood, who I really rate.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jayman67
User

#15 Re: Bigman80 says Hello!

Post by jayman67 »

hi oliver,nice to see you here,hows the alphason doing?