How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Share the music that moves you.......
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#61 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by Dave the bass »

ed wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:05 am are there prizes for entries in the 'gormless' category?
When it comes to bassists faces I think theres only a fine line between gormless/this-is-the-tricky-bit/ oops/missed the cue/ stoned/ concentrating and "this is serious music you know".

"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#62 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by IslandPink »

I have no means of getting a picture of me playing bass, I feel a bit left out.
Dave the bass wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:39 pm As a very highly experienced bass player of many years I can tell you that the bass guitar in question is a 5 string fretless.
Thank you.
According to the bluffer's guide ( Wikipedia ) it's a 'Wal' :thumbleft:
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#63 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by The Stratmangler »

IslandPink wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:12 pmAccording to the bluffer's guide ( Wikipedia ) it's a 'Wal' :thumbleft:
It's more likely to be an Ibanez of some sort - Percy played a Wal years and years and years and years ago, but has been playing Ibanez basses for a good few decades.
He uses the piezo pickup exclusively. Doesn't bother with the magnetic pickup at all.
Chris :happy3:
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#64 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by IslandPink »

You're right, I had a look at some pictures. The bluffer's guide said 'More recently..' he'd switched to Ibanez, but that must be over thirty years ago, judging by the video !
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#65 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by The Stratmangler »

Dave the bass wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:01 pm
ed wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:05 am are there prizes for entries in the 'gormless' category?
When it comes to bassists faces I think theres only a fine line between gormless/this-is-the-tricky-bit/ oops/missed the cue/ stoned/ concentrating and "this is serious music you know".

Looks like you could only afford one strap, and you use the Schaller Straplok system.
The Straploks are gold and the Squier Bass hardware is white metal.
Chris :happy3:
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#66 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by Dave the bass »

The Stratmangler wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:40 pm Looks like you could only afford one strap, and you use the Schaller Straplok system.
Fellow -guitar-tweaker mode engaged! :)

Yup, I only use one strap, its very old, made of some kind of hide, very comfy and has shaped itself to fit me over the years. I re-fitted and modified the original strap buttons on each bass I own to suit the Straplock system and that one strap, that way it always felt like whatever bass I was playing 'fitted' every time. The gold-plating has worn off mostly now, it originally came with the high-fulootin' Warick I think.

That Bass in the piccie (whats left of a Japanese Squire '62 reissue Jazz) is probably only just a Squire by name now. It was/is an on-going project for the last 34+ Years I've owned and gigged it, 1 piece 2" thick lump of Ash cut to the shape of a Stingray body, Bad-Botty 2 Bridge, DIY'd brass nut, DIY scratchplate and battery compartment holding 2 x PP3's to supply the buffer ampand PU's, its fed by 1 x P-type PU in the neck position, 1 Jazz Bass neck position PU in the middle position and a gurt big EMG Soapbar in bridge position, homebrewed non-technical switching between the 2 PU's in the bridge and mid postion feeding a pan pot to blend in the P-bass PU. There's a bell from a microwave screwed to the back of the headstock too you can just make out in the piccie. It looks a bit of a mess and weighs a ton but I like it.

Its would've probably have been worth a lot more if I'd have left it as I bought it back in the mid 80's, but, I wanted to sperryment. Still do. Getting the bass-playing urge back a lot recently.
ed
retired

#67 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by ed »

Dave the bass wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:46 am Its would've probably have been worth a lot more if I'd have left it as I bought it back in the mid 80's, but, I wanted to sperryment. Still do. Getting the bass-playing urge back a lot recently.
s'funny how stuff goes round and round...thanks to this thread I'm going to get freddy fretless out of his case...for the first time in about 10 years.....I'm not sure these urges are completely wholesome.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#68 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by IslandPink »

Jerry Garcia
Citations :
One of the world's most interesting humans ever..
How he and the Grateful Dead made music
Exceptional description of Neal Cassidy ( see also 'On the Road' )
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#69 RnB King

Post by IslandPink »

Antidote to 'RnB' chancers -
Essential homework here - to be served-up with a kick in the arse :

More on this subject to come.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#70 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by IslandPink »

#2 : heavy-duty blues -
gdog
User

#71 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by gdog »

Jascha Heifetz, playing Bach Partita No. 2 in D minor. Many great recording of this not least by John Williams on the guitar. This is the daddy as far as I'm concerned.
vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#72 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by vinylnvalves »

Whilst your were talking of bassists...... Les Claypool springs to mind. I saw him with Govt Mule, took me a short while to realise that Warren Hayes ( quite a good guitarist) wasn’t playing lead it, it was Les on his bass, on this track. This isn’t the best video.. I am off to see Govt Mule next Friday... don’t think Les is with them unfortunately.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#73 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by Ali Tait »

Dave the bass wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:46 am
The Stratmangler wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:40 pm Looks like you could only afford one strap, and you use the Schaller Straplok system.
Fellow -guitar-tweaker mode engaged! :)

Yup, I only use one strap, its very old, made of some kind of hide, very comfy and has shaped itself to fit me over the years. I re-fitted and modified the original strap buttons on each bass I own to suit the Straplock system and that one strap, that way it always felt like whatever bass I was playing 'fitted' every time. The gold-plating has worn off mostly now, it originally came with the high-fulootin' Warick I think.

That Bass in the piccie (whats left of a Japanese Squire '62 reissue Jazz) is probably only just a Squire by name now. It was/is an on-going project for the last 34+ Years I've owned and gigged it, 1 piece 2" thick lump of Ash cut to the shape of a Stingray body, Bad-Botty 2 Bridge, DIY'd brass nut, DIY scratchplate and battery compartment holding 2 x PP3's to supply the buffer ampand PU's, its fed by 1 x P-type PU in the neck position, 1 Jazz Bass neck position PU in the middle position and a gurt big EMG Soapbar in bridge position, homebrewed non-technical switching between the 2 PU's in the bridge and mid postion feeding a pan pot to blend in the P-bass PU. There's a bell from a microwave screwed to the back of the headstock too you can just make out in the piccie. It looks a bit of a mess and weighs a ton but I like it.

Its would've probably have been worth a lot more if I'd have left it as I bought it back in the mid 80's, but, I wanted to sperryment. Still do. Getting the bass-playing urge back a lot recently.
Shaped to fit you over the years? Must be REALLY elastic.

Hahahahahahabahababahabahabahahaha. (c. DTB) 😂😂😂
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#74 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by Dave the bass »

Shurrrrrrrrups you :D
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#75 Re: How could anybody be THAT good at ANYTHING ??

Post by IslandPink »

gdog wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:13 pm Jascha Heifetz, playing Bach Partita No. 2 in D minor. Many great recording of this not least by John Williams on the guitar. This is the daddy as far as I'm concerned.
That is very good indeed and educational for me re. Heitfetz. I suspect the quiet passages of two-string bowing are very difficult to play correctly.