Jokes

A place for the funny stuff
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#91 Re: Jokes

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Unsettling to say the least.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Greg
Social outcast

#92 Re: Jokes

Post by Greg »

Of course, all this misses the flaw in the original grammar. I didn’t know the French had a flag of St George🙄
andrew Ivimey

#93 Re: Jokes

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Yes it could have read better but having been utterly confused, what I suspected was how everybody else read the 'grammar'.

Interesting in itself, n'est ce pas!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#94 Re: Jokes

Post by IslandPink »

My feeling is that we are a lot closer to the French in our culture and attitudes than we are to the Germans.
I find it amusing that the tabloid press puts a lot of effort into criticising the French for the same sort of things that we Brits are known for.
I'm thinking of Exceptionalism, for instance.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Paul Barker

#95 Re: Jokes

Post by Paul Barker »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:42 pm My feeling is that we are a lot closer to the French in our culture and attitudes than we are to the Germans.
I find it amusing that the tabloid press puts a lot of effort into criticising the French for the same sort of things that we Brits are known for.
I'm thinking of Exceptionalism, for instance.
Im quarter German by blood line, my maternal Grandfather. But he and his brothers fought from England i. the Durham Light Infantry. Septimus my Grandfather was so name as he was the seventh child. Non of his brothers came back. His medals were donated to the DLI Regimental museum in Durham, you can see them there.

He wasnt a racist, neither am I. That post belonged to an era when it was banter. Im still in that era in my head and sometimes dont realise out of historical context. Never intended to offend.

Grandad killed his own, if he hadnt it would be shot by our side. He may have been of more value speaking German.

After my mother my father married a German. Not my blood, but by behaviour Ive had strong German influences. Im multi cultural.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#96 Re: Jokes

Post by Nick »

Never intended to offend.
I didn't for one moment think it was Paul.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

#97 Re: Jokes

Post by Paul Barker »

Thanks
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#98 Re: Jokes

Post by IslandPink »

I'll not argue that I've been a party pooper, but I didn't find the joke funny, it just annoyed me ( once I'd worked out the visual gag ) , which is why I posted.
But I also accept that you didn't intend to offend anyone.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#99 Re: Jokes

Post by Nick »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:36 pm I'll not argue that I've been a party pooper, but I didn't find the joke funny, it just annoyed me ( once I'd worked out the visual gag ) , which is why I posted.
Yes, it took me a bit to work out where the joke was, I was trying to remember what the French flag looked like.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#100 Re: Jokes

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:12 pm
I only just got up. What happened ? :)
Pfffffttttt, teenagers!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Greg
Social outcast

#101 Re: Jokes

Post by Greg »

Nick wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:41 pm
IslandPink wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:36 pm I'll not argue that I've been a party pooper, but I didn't find the joke funny, it just annoyed me ( once I'd worked out the visual gag ) , which is why I posted.
Yes, it took me a bit to work out where the joke was, I was trying to remember what the French flag looked like.
I found the ‘joke’ aspect obvious although personally, I found it not funny. One of those meme’s you receive, don’t pass on and quickly delete.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#102 Re: Jokes

Post by Ray P »

The front page of a newspaper - racism or just a chip on the shoulder?

Personally I find it rather sad and pathetic.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
andrew Ivimey

#103 Re: Jokes

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Once again it needs to be understood and I'm guessing. It could be a joke and some people could take it seriously and wish that the Italian team will quickly sort out the English team so they'll shut up about football. ( Bedford is going ti burn tonight!!!!!! As Eni fule no, there are many many italians in Bedford and many indigenous Bedfordians both groups with strong feelings in the matter - equally poised and ready.)

Run away!

Some might constue the 'advert' as racist and feel proud, some might see it as silly and some people see it as a joke to be shared. Some people might get hurt too.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#104 Re: Jokes

Post by Ray P »

Cheers Andrew, I guess you'll just about be shutting the windowns, closing the curtains and settling down with a good book and a glass of vino for the evening?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
andrew Ivimey

#105 Re: Jokes

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Crikey! You know me.

On one side the neighbours are numerous Sicilians, ont'other the gang with their own brewery are indigenous bedfordians, pre Romani so to speak.

Anna & I are in between. Early night? Read a book? Goldberg Variations? Swallow sleeping tablets and drift away.

Once, just once I did a shift in A&E, armed with my comrade
surgeon ( a very lovely man) ENT I was called on to do so little, for what can an Audiologist do!? so I was a spectator. How will A&E do tonight? gulp...

Anna has to go to work tomorrow. I will sweep up the broken glass.