Jokes

A place for the funny stuff
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#61 Re: Jokes

Post by Paul Barker »

A blonde gets a job as a teacher

She notices a boy in the field standing alone, while all the other kids are running around having fun.

She takes pity on him and decides to speak to him.

'You ok?' she says.

'Yes.' he says.

'You can go and play with the other kids you know' she says.

'It's best I stay here.' he says.

'Why?' says the blonde.

The boy says: "Because I'm the goal keeper”
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#62 Re: Jokes

Post by Mike H »

:D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#63 Re: Jokes

Post by Mike H »

Facebook Neil Lucock MGCGB.jpg

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker

#64 Re: Jokes

Post by Paul Barker »

"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#65 Re: Jokes

Post by jack »

Brilly😎
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#66 Re: Jokes

Post by IslandPink »

Oh yes, that's very funny when you consider what Britain surrendered (in direct contravention of the Versailles treaty) to the Nazis, on behalf of France (Alsace) and Czechoslovakia in the period 1934 to 1937. Oh, we were so brave !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#67 Re: Jokes

Post by jack »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:02 am Oh yes, that's very funny when you consider what Britain surrendered (in direct contravention of the Versailles treaty) to the Nazis, on behalf of France (Alsace) and Czechoslovakia in the period 1934 to 1937. Oh, we were so brave !
That's a bit harsh. The Munich Agreement, however distasteful, was an ultimately unsuccessful attempt to avoid a major war in Europe. Alsace-Lorraine had pinged to and fro since the days of Napoleon and the Sudetenland issue was driven largely by the resident majority teutophone ethnic German population. Don't forget that Italy & France were also parties to the agreement and that at the time, it was positively received by most of Europe (but obviously reluctantly by Czechoslovakia).

Appeasement ultimately failed, as we now all know; it's easy to judge history in hindsight.
Paul Barker

#68 Re: Jokes

Post by Paul Barker »

jack wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:14 am
IslandPink wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:02 am Oh yes, that's very funny when you consider what Britain surrendered (in direct contravention of the Versailles treaty) to the Nazis, on behalf of France (Alsace) and Czechoslovakia in the period 1934 to 1937. Oh, we were so brave !
; it's easy to judge history in hindsight.
Its easy to be a party pooper and not enjoy humour thats existed since what my father always referred to as the War.
andrew Ivimey

#69 Re: Jokes

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I'm still thinking about when the French are supposed to be cowardly . I've never understood why (some of the ) British people always like to berate the French -and when asked why, they just do.

Over the centuries Britain has been at war with France far longer than we have been at war with Holland Denmark India Afghanistan Russia USA and Germany to name but a few. Is this why racist remarks are still okay if veiled in humour against the French to many Brits?

And thinking on, one can hardly judge history with foresight. If only we did learn from history!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#70 Re: Jokes

Post by jack »

Hey, I'm ethnically Jewish but an atheist, bought up c of e married to a lapsed Catholic. Plus I have Dutch & Iberian roots but am legally British & Portuguese plus went to school in Switzerland & Australia but lived and worked in France and several other countries with varying or no state religions.

I feel able to poke fun at any of those countries and religions as they poke fun at me and the UK - if you believe for a second that other countries don't poke fun at each other and the English/Scottish/Irish & Welsh, you're deluded.

I believe that with comments about the French being "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" (Bart Simpson?) and similar, the level of offense depends on context, intent, sensitivity of the recipient and the social mores of that time. Traditionally, we call the French "Frogs"; they call us "Rostbifs".

Sensible, rational, people can distinguish between humour and insult. Not all humour is casual racism. Other opinions are available...

(from an English pig-dog terrapin whose mother was a hamster and whose father smelt of elderberries. Apparently.)
andrew Ivimey

#71 Re: Jokes

Post by andrew Ivimey »

That says something but I'm not sure what.

I agree with the sentiment that big people can stand up for themselves whereas attacking small people, poor, immigrant, disabled etc needs to be dealt with.

We here are adults and casual racism needs to be discussed or it will continue and that isn't good for anyone.

We are a mongrel group, we Brits, but that's no excuse either.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Nick
Site Admin

#72 Re: Jokes

Post by Nick »

Sensible, rational, people can distinguish between humour and insult.
Yes, maybe, or maybe we just tell ourself this. But the reality is as we know that it seems at least less that half the people of this country are sensible or rational.
Not all humour is casual racism.
No, but some is.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#73 Re: Jokes

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:10 am
Not all humour is casual racism.
No, but some is.
...which is a direct corollary of what I said.
andrew Ivimey

#74 Re: Jokes

Post by andrew Ivimey »

If you'd care to explain I'm definitely listening .
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#75 Re: Jokes

Post by jack »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:28 am If you'd care to explain I'm definitely listening .
Racism in any form is abhorrent; the issue is in defining what constitutes racism and how definitions and perceptions of severity vary depending on the originator/recipient/observer.

As a Jew, I have a problem with criticism of the state of Israel.

Not that I disapprove of such criticism generally, just that most folk seem to conflate criticism of Israel with anti-Semitism.

I can criticise the creation of the the West Bank settlements in occupied land because I'm Jewish. If a Muslim/Christian/atheist does it, it's anti-Semitism.

To me, that's hypocrisy. However criticising a Jew just because they're a Jew, that's racist.

The world is complex and subtle; humans likewise.