3 way switch

What people are working on at the moment
ed
retired

#1 3 way switch

Post by ed »

I'm having a senior moment(again)
does anybody know of a single relay or switch that incorporates the 2 functions shown......logic controlled natch!

nearly forgot...5 amps capable.
switch.jpeg
switch.jpeg (13.83 KiB) Viewed 2132 times
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#2 Re: 3 way switch

Post by Paul Barker »

Just use two switches at A and B share mains at input. A double light switch in a small A B, which stands for Adaptable Box single socket sized. They are made for 5a switching.

I don’t know what A and B are powering but should there be an occasion where you need A and B together you also have that option.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
ed
retired

#3 Re: 3 way switch

Post by ed »

thanks Paul, but unfortunately I didn't explain very well...

single unit to avoid using 2 miniature relays...that's the kind of footprint i'm looking for......and logic control to avoid too many transistor drivers for the relays....

yes I could use miniature relays but there will be a gang of 8 of these switches so I was trying to minimise the part count, not to mention the amount of landscape.....I will have about 20 milliamps to effect the switching

I feel sure there must be a small self-contained 3 way switch unit that lends itself to logic level control ......
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: 3 way switch

Post by Nick »

I feel sure there must be a small self-contained 3 way switch unit that lends itself to logic level control
Maybe, but I bet its a lot more costly than a couple of relays.

BTW, I find these useful for multi way relay drivers.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/counter-ics/1654112/

8 at a time and chain them together to reduce the number of output lines needed.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#5 Re: 3 way switch

Post by izzy wizzy »

At the risk of stating the obvious, it's like a centre off SPDT toggle. Is there a relay like that? Probably not too helpful as haven't looked myself.
ed
retired

#6 Re: 3 way switch

Post by ed »

@Stephen...yes that's exactly what it is and what I want, but I haven't found one yet....

@Nick... Thanks for that, historically Ive used uln2803 but I think yours is a more modern version of much the same thing....
I think I may abandon this in favour of an off the shelf ESR meter which might set me back £15...less fun, but much less cost.

When I first looked all I could find were ready built units for upwards of £75, and at that point I thought diy was the answer. However, much googling has revealed much cheaper units. Probably not as accurate but fit for purpose.
Nick
Site Admin

#7 Re: 3 way switch

Post by Nick »

of much the same thing
The big advantage is the serial load and the fact you can chain them without needling more pins. Useful if you have 64 or so relays to drive.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.