45 SE

What people are working on at the moment
RhythMick
Old Hand

#166 Re: 45 SE

Post by RhythMick »

Cressy Snr wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:31 am
RhythMick wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:21 am Hi all, it's been a while since I lurked on here (work, work, work) so I've just caught up with this thread. Late to the party again.

Firstly, congrats Steve on the build and really glad to hear you're enjoying the 45s. If I recall correctly you're not too far from me (I'm in Silkstone, you're Worksop way ?). I accumulated a box full of 45s both ST and globes, I much preferred the globes but I treat them relatively gently (usually aiming around 28mA). I find them both sweet and powerful. If you're arranging a listening day after the delayed lifting of restrictions I'd be very interested and happy to bring over a selection of 45s to be listened to. I also have a new pair of the EML 45s in a box.
Hi Mick,
Yes, I’m loving the 45s.
I have 100dB single driver speakers and to be honest, I can’t see myself ever using anything else now. I missed out big style on the loan of a pair of globe 45s from Paul after the Hull meet at Steve’s on 11th June, because I forgot to take them home with me. I’m still kicking myself for being so slack. :banghead:

A session comparing my cheap 45 amplifier with your proper one would be good. Perhaps later on in the Summer I could visit your place.

Cheers.
I'd enjoy that Steve. How about we pick a date for you to come over here for a listen and you can take away a pair of globe 45s to listen to. My only concern would be you running them at 34mA, did I catch that right? 90 year old valves deserve to be more relaxed. However, a short listen won't do them much harm. Once we have a date I'll let the others of this parish know in case anyone fancies joining us.

Later I can come over for a listen to yours and take the globes away.
steve s
Shed dweller

#167 Re: 45 SE

Post by steve s »

Count me in please..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#168 Re: 45 SE

Post by Cressy Snr »

RhythMick wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:51 pm
I'd enjoy that Steve. How about we pick a date for you to come over here for a listen and you can take away a pair of globe 45s to listen to. My only concern would be you running them at 34mA, did I catch that right? 90 year old valves deserve to be more relaxed. However, a short listen won't do them much harm. Once we have a date I'll let the others of this parish know in case anyone fancies joining us.

Later I can come over for a listen to yours and take the globes away.
Sounds good to me. :)
I’m running the 45s at 29mA at the moment, so globes should be fine. I dialled down the current, before I took the amp to Steve’s a couple of weeks ago. This was so that Paul’s own globe valves wouldn’t be stressed. I’ve left the STs running at 29mA.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#169 Re: 45 SE

Post by IslandPink »

"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#170 Re: 45 SE

Post by Cressy Snr »

Not globes, but from the same site:
http://hifiheroin.blogspot.com/2011/10/ ... meful.html

I mean, total steampunk fabness. WOW!
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
RhythMick
Old Hand

#171 Re: 45 SE

Post by RhythMick »

IslandPink wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:00 pm Speaking of 'globes' .....
http://hifiheroin.blogspot.com/2021/06/ ... blink.html
Those 10s look gorgeous. I use mostly 1920s Cunningham DHTs where I can and they sound gorgeous. I have a couple of Globe 10s but they are like the proverbial rocking horse droppings. Not quite as bad as Globe 50s though - I only have one of those.