Nixie Switcher Power Supply

What people are working on at the moment
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1 Nixie Switcher Power Supply

Post by Ray P »

I am (very) slowly making progress with an AD1862 DAC project and I want to try an I/V stage using Russian sub-miniature valves that I came across on-line. However, I don't want to add in a conventional power supply arrangements because of space constraints and to keep the cost down. As I already have some 12V power supplies arranged to power the DAC I bought a couple of Jack's Nixie switcher power supply kits to try;

https://desmith.net/NMdS/Electronics/NixiePSU.html

They're mostly smd parts so today I set myself the challenge of soldering up the kits, surprisingly it went swimmingly. Both modules worked first time, powered from a 12VDC 'brick' power supply, delivering about 15mA/185VDC through a test load resistor. The only thing I've not tested is adjusting the output voltage (because I can't find my tiniest screwdriver!).

Thanks Nick (Jack).

I had better finish the PCB layout for the valve I/V stage now!

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#2 Re: Nixie Switcher Power Supply

Post by jack »

Bad boy that I am, I only just noticed this!! Glad they're all working swimmingly :) And, yes, you really need a very fine screwdriver indeed for those tiny Bournes pots...

Have you used them on anything with valves in yet?
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#3 Re: Nixie Switcher Power Supply

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:38 am Bad boy that I am, I only just noticed this!! Glad they're all working swimmingly :) And, yes, you really need a very fine screwdriver indeed for those tiny Bournes pots...

Have you used them on anything with valves in yet?
Not yet, I have plans to use them on a DAC output stage that uses Russian sub-miniature valves but need to complete some other stuff first.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!