music production

What people are working on at the moment
Nick
Site Admin

#31 Re: music production

Post by Nick »

I've never read anywhere the reason the interfaces have this -10/+4db switch
I thought it was

-10 dBV for consumer equipment (0.316 V RMS)
+4 dBu for professional equipment (1.23 V RMS)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#32 Re: music production

Post by ed »

I had assumed as much, but for the last 10 or 15 years the distinction between the two has been vague to say the least. I think it was when I replaced the Mackies with the rocky el34 and tannoy passive monitors that I discovered the word prosumer in regard to studio gear. I then moved to digital output using the AH Lite dac to avoid the nagging earth loops..

at this point it becomes moot whether my recording chain(echo and Samson and Peavey mic pres) is pro or consumer, and whether to use -10 or +4.....The sonar and pro tools forums were full of chaps not knowing the answer either..... I also scratched my head over the concept of balanced and pseudo balanced at the time.....I am now convinced it's all nothing more than a means to make our stay here on the planet more interesting.

edit...
some more has come flitting back into my suspect memory...for ages I used the pre-amps in the Yamaha AW16, direct into the echo line inputs...is this pro or consumer and which should I have used(-10 or +4) in this situation??... I didn't know any better and just experimented and used what I thought sounded best.....it may have been a million miles from best practice. Did I mention before that I'm a chancer!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
ed
retired

#33 Re: music production

Post by ed »

Continuing my re-awakened interest in the studio setup, I found some oldies which I thought I’d share:

https://www.vitalstates.org/diy/misc/desperados.mp3

there is a full fat version...same url with .wav extension

and also from a while back...to spread the hope:

https://www.vitalstates.org/diy/misc/bsl.wmv
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
ruffrecords
User

#34 Re: music production

Post by ruffrecords »

I read in the paper recently that scientists have discovered a gene that alters some people's sense of smell and taste. They can smell/taste things that many people cannot and apparently it explains why they hate brussels. I have often wondered if there may be another gene that afflicts one with golden ears?

Cheers

Ian
JamesD
Old Hand

#35 Re: music production

Post by JamesD »

What is established for hearing is the extent to which emotional state affects audio judgement and the unconscious bias that it generates during blind testing sessions and that this increases the longer a session continues and as the number of test samples increases...

This is not an argument for Golden ears per se but it is a counter to expecting any testing to yield completely reliable results (scientific definition of reliable result i.e. repeatable results for a competently carried out test, carried out in any place and at any time with any competent observers)