Speaker surrounds

What people are working on at the moment
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Speaker surrounds

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I've 're-surrounded' a good few speaker cones and wouldn't touch with a barge pole the dread Lowthers. The process is quite simple.

But I've always used 'kits' that include 'glue'.

Now I find myself with metal baskets, rubber surrounds and ( some sort of) paper speaker cones. What kind of glue will reliably stick clean steel rubber and some sort of paper and happily put out lovely SPL for many years to come?

What does the panel think, please?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
JamesD
Old Hand

#2 Re: Speaker surrounds

Post by JamesD »

Hi ANdrew,

For that combination and purpose I have used gel superglue successfully - also with a leather surround instead of rubber style surround. Use the gel as it doesn't run and stays where you put it but can still be spread a little - get the stuff with 30 seconds 'workability' before it sets.

Good luck!

James
andrew Ivimey

#3 Re: Speaker surrounds

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Hello James, gel super glue? I'll give it a go. Thanks for your suggestion.

Fingers crossed... not stuck together.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#4 Re: Speaker surrounds

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Is anyone awake?

This super glue gel is good. I've not had much luck with any type of glue but...

Super glue is often used surgically. Being hydrophilic its excellent fir sticking arteries back together etc etc etc.

Anyway, the gel has a long slow fix ( relatively) and it's fine with metal rubber and paper.( what's that game?) But I'm messy and I used a lot of glue - fingers stuck to metal, fingers stuck to rubber very very easily!

Onewards!
andrew Ivimey

#5 Re: Speaker surrounds

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ooops.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: Speaker surrounds

Post by IslandPink »

Hope your fingers aren't stuck to the keyboard !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#7 Re: Speaker surrounds

Post by Nick »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:52 pm Super glue is often used surgically.
Yep, we often use it for Lurchers. They have very thin skin that will just tear if you use staples or stiches to hold it together,
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
JamesD
Old Hand

#8 Re: Speaker surrounds

Post by JamesD »

Yes it does get on your fingers and its a pain to clean up!

Glad it stuck the correct surfaces together as well :D

Hope they sound as they should too!

James