New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

What people are working on at the moment
Ant
Shed dweller

#511 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Ant »

Are you going to convert the current amp to them or build a new one?
Id build another one rather than faffing with what you have already have
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#512 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Cressy Snr »

Paul Barker wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:52 pm
Cressy Snr wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:48 am 45s arrived today!
That was quick Paul! :D
I didnt send those someone else.
Well thanks, whoever it was. :) :scratch:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#513 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Cressy Snr »

Ant wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:54 pm Are you going to convert the current amp to them or build a new one?
Id build another one rather than faffing with what you have already have
It’ll be something new. The EL34 amp is exceptional: way too good and way too quiet to be bodging AC heated 45s onto it.
I’ll wait and do it properly.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#514 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by IslandPink »

Cressy Snr wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:01 pm
Well thanks, whoever it was. :) :scratch:
Perhaps it was James Dyson, making a start in philanthropy.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#515 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Paul Barker »

My buying the 45’s was an interesting story. Daren living in North Wales, both sure but it might have been first time we met? Met in middle of country as equal effort and in a fast food car park parked, opened our boots and a combined purchase of 45’s were divided between.

I had said to Darren “45’s are so prevalent in USA they’re really cheap, one day they will reach the level of their sound!!” W bought about 15 to 20 as one lot between us at about £15 each.

I was shocked their value hadn’t arrived where it belonged sooner. I wished I’d bought Millard ECC83’s instead for many years, as right then 1998 probably, those began to take off and from £3 a pop became £40 into the new Century.

The 45’s remained stagnant for as long as I can remember.

But now at last they’re at the value they belong.

Overall those 45’s failed as a spotted bargain as the money was not turned over. They took so long at stagnation there was no margin at all in flipping them and having the money again to profit from with a better choice. A valve type that was gradually rising at the time like the VT4C.

I considered the 45’s a failed investment.

I’d get more pleasure from my friend in Mexborough having a go with them than they’ve ever given me.

You have to have sensitive speakers to truly enjoy.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#516 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Paul Barker »

But the best sound of low power output valve I enjoyed alone was 10’s , leagues ahead of 45’s, I may have never put much effort into 45’s, but in most cases as an output valve they don’t shine due to mismatch with speaker efficiency.

Yet there was magic that day James and I recall. I haven’t achieved that. But I’ve made 10’s sound that good and some alone at home.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#517 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Paul Barker »

Paul Barker wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:55 am But the best sound of low power output valve I enjoyed alone was 10’s , leagues ahead of 45’s, I may have never put much effort into 45’s, but in most cases as an output valve they don’t shine due to mismatch with speaker efficiency.

Yet there was magic that day James and I recall. I haven’t achieved that. But I’ve made 10’s sound that good and some alone at home.
Yet I think on that same day, the first time James nes brought his speakers, Will brought a 10 amp which was that day mismatched with those marvellous but fickle speakers. It was just a mismatch.

It’s a journey we’re all on to match up something that sounds like Jonathan’s 45 amp to James’s Quasars, type experience. When you get there, ffs change nothing and don’t put it in a metal box.
Last edited by Paul Barker on Sat May 01, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#518 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Cressy Snr »

Aye,
Thanks go out to the mystery benefactor and to Paul.
I reckon I’m in for a pretty decent audio experience.
My speakers are 100dB/W efficient, with a benign impedance load. Should suit 45s very well, in my 12 x 13 room. :)
Last edited by Cressy Snr on Sat May 01, 2021 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#519 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by simon »

The Bugle I built was plenty loud enough with 97dB speakers to shake the settee Steve :-). If the driver has enough gain to fully drive the 45s the neighbours will be complaining :lol:.
steve s
Shed dweller

#520 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by steve s »

I’d get more pleasure from my friend in Mexborough having a go with them than they’ve ever given me.

[/quote]
My feelings too.. 🙂
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

#521 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by steve s »

Cressy Snr wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:27 pm
It’ll be something new. The EL34 amp is exceptional: way too good and way too quiet to be bodging AC heated 45s onto it.
I’ll wait and do it properly.
Thats a good move steve, you will have both to compare
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Paul Barker

#522 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Paul Barker »

steve s wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:06 am My feelings too.. 🙂
Paul Barker

#523 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Paul Barker »

Bet you don’t fall asleep on his sofa 🛋
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#524 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Cressy Snr »

Paul Barker wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:06 am Bet you don’t fall asleep on his sofa 🛋
:mrgreen:
Paul Barker

#525 Re: New SE With Triode Mode KT120/150

Post by Paul Barker »

Steve Cresswell, might pay you to use youre front end on this present amp as it probably has close enough voltage amplification to the Bugle. But without trashing that amp.