yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

What people are working on at the moment
Ant
Shed dweller

#106 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Ant »

Just put the soundsmith Othello fixed coil cart I bought on the big lenco. Been wanting to try a moving iron/fixed coil, whatever you want to call it for ages, hence getting this.

good god. this thing has some really good bass, really deep and tight, and it starts and stops like lightning. Even compared with the Hana and the dv20........
Top end isn't anything to write home about, abit shut in and a little dull compared to the dv and the Hana which is to be expected, but it definitely has something going for it, very bouncy and musical.
Aaarrgh! I really don't want to mess about with the dual, but I'm very tempted to put it on there and see what it does.
Piggin'ell........
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#107 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Paul Barker »

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :D
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ant
Shed dweller

#108 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Ant »

Seeing as the Dual packed in, and I lack the required frame of mind to even attempt to fix it, I just built another type 3 Lenco for the linear arm to go on.

ImageBte designs Type 3/a lenco by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

I've designated it (and another one) type 3/a because its slightly different to the big Lenco. The curve around the rear is closer in, so that it follows the same measurement from the pan as the centre of the 3 square edges. This will be the spec going forward.

This is the other one

ImageBte designs Type 3/a lenco by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

This one is a commission that I was asked to build off the back of lending out the big Lenco. Its got an Audiomods series 5 on it, the cart is a very very nice shure ME95ed, i got this on the gl78 that I built the black one out of. Im rather surprised how nice it is. Almost makes me want to investigate a v15 It will have a Goldring Excel gs on it when it goes to its new owner on friday

Thats 5 of these ive built now

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#109 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Mike H »

"I lack the required frame of mind to even attempt" I like that, I must be able to use that sometime :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ant
Shed dweller

#110 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Ant »

Been playing with carts. Ive had the soundsmith on it, the shure m95 and the dv20x2. Ive ended up after much faffing and internal debate, with the dynavector on it again.
I just prefer its blend of strengths and weaknesses to the others. The 95 will be kept as a spare ( along with the other early dv20 and maybe an m55e) and some of the others will get put up for sale.
Need to get a handle on all the stuff ive got....

Ant
Shed dweller

#111 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Ant »

Been doing abit of listening to the lenco/airprodigy today, it doesnt get used much compared to the jvc.
Every time i listen to it i like it more. I think its the complete lack of clutter to the sound with the arm. Everything occupies its own space and nothing trips over other things. Its so easy to listen to, it just gives you whats there.
And the imaging. It images. I dont know why it does this party trick so well compared to other arms ive owned, things in the mix are just there even with the ruddy great fanes.. imaging isnt their strong point. I can live with that.
Its running through the benedict audio at the moment because i wanted to run the mofi studiophono in and she uses the jvc all the time, so it made sense to run it through that instead.
Might swap them over now, i want to see what the mofi can do now its got a good few hours on it.
Onwards!

Ant
Shed dweller

#112 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Ant »

completed another one. This is number 7

ImageBte designs type3/b alphason hr100s mcs sae1000 lt by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

built to spec, this one has a full bbp plinth, topped with a bright red veneer. its called sanguine ash apparently. The motor unit is a little different to usual as the chassis plate had been filled with epoxy resin to damp it, so i didnt have to damp it this time. it also has a stainless ring that goes around the bearing mount to reinforce it. dunno it it makes any difference though

ImageBte designs type3/b alphason hr100s mcs sae1000 lt by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

the chassis is sprayed in a jaguar colour, its jaguar indigo blue, and it actually looks really nice, the metallic bits in it and the purply base colour pop out when the light hits it.

arm is an alphason hr100mcs, and the cart is an sae1000 lt. which is a rebadged coral 777ex. lovely cart.

came out pretty good if i do say so myself

Max N
Old Hand

#113 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Max N »

That’s an absolute beauty
Er, I mean, very shoddy indeed
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#114 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Ali Tait »

Cracking job Ant, shoddy indeed.
Ant
Shed dweller

#115 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Ant »

another deck completed
not a type 3, but a g99 isn't far different

ImageGoldring g99 audio technica atp-12t dv20x2 by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

audio technica atp12t on this one, its destined to have a dl103 in it

ImageGoldring g99 audio technica atp-12t dv20x2 by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

and ed's recased b1

ImageNelson pass b1 by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

same footprint as a mac mini but twice the height

really need to sort out all the boxes and make the room look abit less...... tandys store room

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#116 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by IslandPink »

Quality stuff - as ever .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ant
Shed dweller

#117 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Ant »

Almost finished this one, just got to fix the arms in position and then a sound test.
Not today though, I've got the clumsy head on so I'm not going to risk broken bits...

ImageBte designs type 2 dual arm lenco conversion by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

Differences from usual are that because of the rear arm, I've had to relocate the on/off switch so its underneath the front edge of the plinth, the arm boards are decoupled on hefty rubber grommets like they are on my type three, and the foot positions are reversed. Usually, there is a single front foot and 2 rear ones, but because of the switch having to be repositioned the front foot cant go where it usually goes.

ImageBte designs type 2 dual arm lenco conversion by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

Veneer is Sapele, trim is satin black, arms are a Rega RB330 (I think) with a Rega cart, dunno which one, and an Audiomods series 6. Cart will be an Audio Technica AT33ptg

This one has taken an absolute age to do. With the kids being at home constantly since late December its been an absolute mission to get any work done while they are on the various computers doing their school work. I've just had to keep plugging away getting a little done at a time with as little disruption to their lessons as possible. The half term last week has been a godsend, I've gotten more done in that week than i did since their christmas holidays.

Deep breath, and last push to get it over the line. Onward!

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#118 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Cressy Snr »

Great stuff! :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#119 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by izzy wizzy »

Looks great. You mention it is sapelle venner but what sort of veneer is it? And what's the sticky stuff you use to make it stay there?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#120 Re: yet another boring one trick pony turntable build

Post by Ali Tait »

Cracking job as usual Ant.