833A (GU-48) Amp

What people are working on at the moment
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1201 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by pre65 »

One unit has now been completed. :D

Thing is, now it's too heavy for me to lift on my own without buggering up (even more) my back. :shock:

I'll start upgrading the other one now, and then (not today) I can test them in the system.

All the real weight is in the bottom section, so not really sure how to overcome that at the moment, but I'll muster both brain cells and give it some thought. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1202 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by Mike H »

Imediately strikes me as, unpluggable modules? (Or pluggable, the other way round)

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1203 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:09 pm
Paul Barker wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:58 pm
pre65 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:56 pm I have a feeling that the two E chokes I have were "fried" in an unfortunate misconnection event many years ago, So I've purchased two more from our Greg, who had some unused ones in hand.
Shorted secondary?
Not quite Paul.

They were on my dual mono power supply and there was a "connection error" with my 811a amp. :oops:
I vaguely remember something about this, or have I commented before?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1204 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:11 pm I cleared a space on the operating table last night,
Visions of sweeping bodies onto the floor

:lol:

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1205 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:00 pm Immediately strikes me as, unpluggable modules? (Or pluggable, the other way round)
Yes Mike. I have a great liking for PJP 4mm plugs and sockets. They do quite a few different colours which helps avoid mistakes.

The reason I'm leaving them as they are (for the time being) is that I will need to integrate the James D A2 drive buffer at some point, so the major redesign will wait till then.

I hate to think what the weight would be if I had the OPT on board.(for those not in the know my OPT are off-board as they are shared with several different amps)

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1206 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by pre65 »

Just out of interest, I managed to get the completed unit on the bathroom scales.

27KG.

Edmund Burke

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1207 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by IslandPink »

Sounds like a half-completed horn speaker.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1208 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by Paul Barker »

Definitely worth making it modular Phil.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1209 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by pre65 »

Paul Barker wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:34 am Definitely worth making it modular Phil.
My back told me that in no uncertain way when I lifted it off the operating table onto the floor.

To be honest I nearly let go as i bent over to go the last 24 inches.

Edmund Burke

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#1210 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by simon »

Bend ze knees Phil. Bending your back is a good way to put it out. Easy to say when you're not hulking an awkward shaped lump I know.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1211 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by pre65 »

simon wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:41 pm Bend ze knees Phil. Bending your back is a good way to put it out. Easy to say when you're not hulking an awkward shaped lump I know.
Good advice Simon, but after many years of riding motorcycles across fields ze knees ain't perfect either. :lol:

Been thinking about a modular design, and started sketching a few ideas.

Edmund Burke

Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1212 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by Paul Barker »

[/quote]

Good advice Simon, but after many years of riding motorcycles across fields ze knees ain't perfect either. :lol:

[/quote]

Yep, that’s why I didn’t mention it. Takes an oldie to know. No offence meant to you Mark.

But Phil, preserve every ability u have by not doing stupid things like reach away from you with load.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1213 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by pre65 »

So far, I seemed to established that two layers are not enough, so three layers are in the initial sketch.

Having a stackable metal framework would be nice, tubular corner sections so that each level slots into the one below, with BBP base boards (for many reasons).

I'd love to make the frame all aluminium, but I can't justify a Tig welder at the moment.

So, slowly but surely, things are evolving. :D

Edmund Burke

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#1214 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by simon »

I've had a bad back for probably 30 years, first damaged it playing squash. I understand the knee issue, increasingly so! But whilst knees, ankles, elbows and the rest can be really painful, your back is your core and if that goes yer really stuffed. Guess how I know :-(. Anyway enough negativity.

Modular is defo the way to go to split the weight up Phil, I found the challenge at higher voltage is the connectors though - appropriately rated connectors aren't cheap. Then you might want another for your filament supplies.

And perhaps it's just me but it took me ages to work out the insert patterns to spec the right voltage rating. But the suppliers seem to only stock a small range, and anything over 700V got expensive quickly.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#1215 Re: 833A (GU-48) Amp

Post by izzy wizzy »

May have mentioned this before. If you got ht of <1000v, you can use hirschmann 1000v rated 2mm shrouded plugs and sockets.

If you keep the lt on the same chassis as the valve, no need to have connectors for high current, only mains and regular kettle cord connectors.